D. Martell Gallery- Martell Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a 160mm CPM154 petty with amboyna burl and streaked blond buffalo horn wa oval handle....

P1010004.JPG

P1010005.JPG

P1010006.JPG

P1010008.JPG

P1010013.JPG

P1010015.JPG

You scored a nice piece there and did it justice!

Stefan

That amboyna burl would look good on top of the blue wood you had available for a petty.

I just finished up this wa set in CPM154....

250mm Gyuto

180mm Nakiri

160mm Petty

The customer wanted a matching set, simple, clean, without spacers or accents. He asked for a wood that had figuring, that was natural (not dyed), yet not light, or orange toned. I wasn't sure at first what would fit the bill here and after looking around a bit I wasn't sure what I was going to end up with. I got lucky though and stumbled across a block of maple that was nicely figured, natural, and darker than the usual blond stuff. The customer approved so I bought it and sent it off for stabilization. I like how it came out, lots of movement and character while still being natural. And it's all as matching as can be....the wood (as mentioned) is from the same block, the steel is from the same sheet, and even the streaked blond buffalo horn is from the very same roll.

Now to get them packed up and sent off to OZ :)

P1010002.JPG

P1010006.JPG

P1010009.JPG

P1010010.JPG

P1010012.JPG

P1010015.JPG

This set took 2 yrs to make!

The customer placed an order for the gyuto in 2015 along with a 50% deposit and later added in the petty. He requested nickel silver bolsters and I accepted. I thought, at the time, that I could handle this but it turns out that I had a few things to learn before I could go to the next level.

I believe this is the 3rd, although it could be the 4th, gyuto that I made for this order. The previous attempts ended up in the pile 'O shame for one reason or another, lots of time and materials lost on this one. But through the entire time the customer stuck with me patiently waiting for me to get my act together which served to push me to try a lot of different things until finally making the cross over into success-ville. :)

These knives are made from CPM-154 powdered stainless steel. The handles are made from an absolutely incredible block of blue dyed maple burl with nickel silver bolsters and a mosaic pin. The wood has deep movement with lots of flash and a med/dark blue (and some light green) color that looks like pearl to me. I applied 8 coats of drying oil through wet sanding to bring out the color and features. I know that the customer will like what he sees in person.

I wish to say thank you to the customer for all of his patience and support, thanks Stephen! :thumbsup: Enjoy!

P1010001.JPG

P1010003.JPG

P1010010.JPG

P1010013.JPG

P1010021.JPG

P1010025.JPG

P1010027.JPG

Those are fantastic Dave! Kudos to the customer for the patience and to you for not giving up on this order.

Back