Gallery- Martell Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

@ftermath

Reaction score
Love this one, Dave.

I just finished up this Martell 230mm Gyuto (Chef's Knife) made from CPM154 powdered stainless steel paired with a western handle made out of a streaked blond buffalo horn, nickel silver/G10 spacers, and some of the best quality koa I've ever worked with.

The wood was selected by the customer, sourced from SheltonPacific.com and is extremely understated in my pictures. Seriously, this handle needs video to show off it's character. Just incredible color tones, chatoyance, and all that which makes koa so awesome.

The handle shape is a bit out of the norm for me but something I have done before a few times. The ass end curve is more flat while there's a deeper finger notch cut on the underside. This type of handle I usually reserve for putting on the higher end knives but the wood was so charming I gave it some extra work.

The blade is sort of an in-betweener, custom request from the customer, being 230mm in edge length with a shorter than normal height of about 53mm at the heel.

I don't want to keep every knife I make but I'd keep this one if I could. ;)

View attachment 90947View attachment 90948View attachment 90949View attachment 90950View attachment 90951View attachment 90952

deanb

Founding Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just finished up this Martell 230mm Gyuto (Chef's Knife) made from CPM154 powdered stainless steel paired with a western handle made out of a streaked blond buffalo horn, nickel silver/G10 spacers, and some of the best quality koa I've ever worked with.

The wood was selected by the customer, sourced from SheltonPacific.com and is extremely understated in my pictures. Seriously, this handle needs video to show off it's character. Just incredible color tones, chatoyance, and all that which makes koa so awesome.

The handle shape is a bit out of the norm for me but something I have done before a few times. The ass end curve is more flat while there's a deeper finger notch cut on the underside. This type of handle I usually reserve for putting on the higher end knives but the wood was so charming I gave it some extra work.

The blade is sort of an in-betweener, custom request from the customer, being 230mm in edge length with a shorter than normal height of about 53mm at the heel.

I don't want to keep every knife I make but I'd keep this one if I could. ;)

View attachment 90947View attachment 90948View attachment 90949View attachment 90950View attachment 90951View attachment 90952
You’re an artist Dave!

sudsy9977

Founding Member
Reaction score
ehh...I guess if you like super spectacular koa,great fit and finish and a killer grind it's ok. ....not my cup of tea:)

Bill13

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow Dave, it turned out as nice as you said;). This is going to be one happy customer!!

stereo.pete

Founding Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@daveb Hah, glad to see you Dave!!!! Hope you and the fam are doing well!

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Professional Craftsman
Reaction score
This new handle is made from a highly figured maple, streaked buffalo horn, and G10 spacers. It's mounted on an older Martell petty that was accidentally dropped on the floor and had it's original handle break in half. Hopefully this new one will have better luck in it's future. 😜

Martell Knives9.JPG

Nemo

Staff member
Global Moderators
Reaction score
This new handle is made from a highly figured maple, streaked buffalo horn, and G10 spacers. It's mounted on an older Martell petty that was accidentally dropped on the floor and had it's original handle break in half. Hopefully this new one will have better luck in it's future. 😜

View attachment 122301
Wow.

Stunning.

birdsfan

Reaction score
Beautiful work Dave! I have been playing with curly maple a lot lately, but mine doesnt come out nearly as pretty as yours! Your color choices with the g10 and the horn all really make the grain features pop.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Professional Craftsman
Reaction score
Beautiful work Dave! I have been playing with curly maple a lot lately, but mine doesnt come out nearly as pretty as yours! Your color choices with the g10 and the horn all really make the grain features pop.

Thanks!

I really love figured maple, I wish I could talk more people into letting me use it. Not only is it inexpensive, from a maker's perspective it works nice, it's strong, and looks great often giving more movement (chatoyance?) than wood that costs three times as much. It can also be dyed and stained too!

chiffonodd

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Always a pleasure to see your work @Dave Martell ! I have this dream that one day I'm gonna land a takamura uchigumo/HSPS damascus and send it to you for rehandling. Until then 🤞🤞

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Professional Craftsman
Reaction score
Always a pleasure to see your work @Dave Martell ! I have this dream that one day I'm gonna land a takamura uchigumo/HSPS damascus and send it to you for rehandling. Until then 🤞🤞

You're not going to like what I have to say about rehandling those knives :oops:

Thanks for the kind words though!

daddy yo yo

Reaction score
That was all the customer's good taste.
I wonder how many great examples of your customers‘ great taste we‘re gonna see in the upcoming weeks/months. Looks like most of your customers have great taste...

Beyond kidding, I think you’re way too humble. Your customers give you the idea, but YOU are the artist, YOU make your customers‘ ideas shine in all their glory!

NameAlreadyTaken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was all the customer's good taste.
Awww, thanks @Dave Martell 😊 😊 😊

I wonder how many great examples of your customers‘ great taste we‘re gonna see in the upcoming weeks/months. Looks like most of your customers have great taste...

Beyond kidding, I think you’re way too humble. Your customers give you the idea, but YOU are the artist, YOU make your customers‘ ideas shine in all their glory!
I totally agree with @daddy yo yo - you're way too modest @Dave Martell !
This is your years of experience and skills as an artist.
I really love the swirly banding in the bottom photo!
Can't wait to get it in the hand!