D. Martell Gallery- Martell Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These look very nice. Congrats to the buyer.

Thanks Alex!

Is that your first k tip gyuto? Don't think I've seen one by you before. Either way, curious about your thoughts on doing a k-tip.

I've done them before, maybe only a 1/2 dozen (ish) though. I don't mind doing them if someone wants one, they make for a very thin tip if that's what you're after.

Here's a freshly completed 180mm nakiri made out of 52100. This started off to be a rustic nakiri but took a couple of twists along the way where I added/tweaked to make it more of an "upscale" rustic nakiri. :D

The customer requested a brass spacer but he got 2, plus a nickel silver one and a few black G10s as well as a matching mosaic pin. He was looking for brown wood and left the decision to me so I went with a spalted maple to sort of match the vintage mustard patina applied to the blade. And speaking of the blade, I decided to take the bottom half of it to a nicely polished (convex) bevel that's very thin yet should still push product up and away as it rises and hits the defined "shinogi" (term used loosely here) line. The blade was initially mustard finished all over so there's still some remnants of this on the polished bevel that can be seen when the blade is twisted in the light. I left it because the bevel will just get all patina'd up in use anyway but the customer still has a nice blank canvas to see turn into whatever it will over time as it becomes his knife.

I hope that you like it Jay. Thanks to you and Trish for your support! :cool:

PS - The sky is overcast today and I'm dealing with a half dull/half shiny blade. I did my best to show all aspects of the finish but I can say without question that the owner will be surprised when he gets it in hand as it looks better in person.

P1010002.JPG
P1010003.JPG
P1010007.JPG
P1010010.JPG
P1010012.JPG
P1010013.JPG
P1010022.JPG

Here's the newest Martell knife, freshly completed, and ready to go to it's new home. It's a 270mm wa gyuto made out of 52100. :cool:

The handle is made from a crazy double dyed block of box elder burl that the customer picked out himself. He chose to forgo using another material for the ferrule so that he could include more of the wood's character and I'm sure glad that he did!

The customer requested a nickel silver spacer and mosaic pin be added but I needed to add some umpf (to match the crazy wood) so I went with a double nickel silver and single copper spacer paired with black G10. The mosaic pin that's used matches the spacer stack perfectly.

Now to hope that he likes it. ;)

P1010002.JPG
P1010003.JPG
P1010008.JPG
P1010010.JPG
P1010014.JPG
P1010015.JPG
P1010016.JPG
P1010020.JPG
P1010023.JPG
P1010029.JPG

That is a work of art... Almost like the grand prismatic pool at Yellow stone.

Here's something a little different...a 240mm gyuto in 52100 with a "recycled" Japanese d-shaped wa handle installed. :)

The handle is actually brand new, it was a take from a rehandle job I did a couple of years ago, just too nice to use for a shop jig/tool like I do with most that come off in one piece so I saved it to use at some time in the future. I finally decided to mount it on one of my knives as an experiment since a lot of people have told me that they'd buy this combo if I ever made it so I wanted to see if that was true. Funny thing is that it sold before I could even list it online so I guess this works, LOL. :D

Here it is....

P1010002.JPG
P1010004.JPG
P1010005.JPG
P1010008.JPG
P1010014.JPG
P1010015.JPG

Here's 3 - CPM154 knives I just finished up on, all handled in African Blackwood with the two Japanese models sporting streaked blond buffalo horn ferrules. :cool:

This is the first butcher knife that I've made out of stainless. This one is also a bit different in that it's a wider bellied version and the handle is rounded on top and bottom facets. It's the nicest ground butcher knife I've done so far.

Martell_Knives1.JPG
P1010004.JPG
P1010008.JPG
P1010012.JPG
P1010019.JPG

Here's the newest Martell knife, freshly completed, and ready to go to it's new home. It's a 270mm wa gyuto made out of 52100. :cool:

The handle is made from a crazy double dyed block of box elder burl that the customer picked out himself. He chose to forgo using another material for the ferrule so that he could include more of the wood's character and I'm sure glad that he did!

The customer requested a nickel silver spacer and mosaic pin be added but I needed to add some umpf (to match the crazy wood) so I went with a double nickel silver and single copper spacer paired with black G10. The mosaic pin that's used matches the spacer stack perfectly.

Now to hope that he likes it. ;)

View attachment 50004 View attachment 50005 View attachment 50006 View attachment 50007 View attachment 50008 View attachment 50009 View attachment 50010 View attachment 50011 View attachment 50012 View attachment 50013
let me know if he does not like it.

I just finished up this Martell 230mm Gyuto (Chef's Knife) made from CPM154 powdered stainless steel paired with a western handle made out of a streaked blond buffalo horn, nickel silver/G10 spacers, and some of the best quality koa I've ever worked with.

The wood was selected by the customer, sourced from SheltonPacific.com and is extremely understated in my pictures. Seriously, this handle needs video to show off it's character. Just incredible color tones, chatoyance, and all that which makes koa so awesome.

The handle shape is a bit out of the norm for me but something I have done before a few times. The ass end curve is more flat while there's a deeper finger notch cut on the underside. This type of handle I usually reserve for putting on the higher end knives but the wood was so charming I gave it some extra work.

The blade is sort of an in-betweener, custom request from the customer, being 230mm in edge length with a shorter than normal height of about 53mm at the heel.

I don't want to keep every knife I make but I'd keep this one if I could. ;)

P1010004.JPG
P1010005.JPG
P1010017.JPG
P1010023.JPG
P1010024.JPG
P1010027.JPG

Back