D. Martell Gallery- Martell Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love this one, Dave.

I just finished up this Martell 230mm Gyuto (Chef's Knife) made from CPM154 powdered stainless steel paired with a western handle made out of a streaked blond buffalo horn, nickel silver/G10 spacers, and some of the best quality koa I've ever worked with.

The wood was selected by the customer, sourced from SheltonPacific.com and is extremely understated in my pictures. Seriously, this handle needs video to show off it's character. Just incredible color tones, chatoyance, and all that which makes koa so awesome.

The handle shape is a bit out of the norm for me but something I have done before a few times. The ass end curve is more flat while there's a deeper finger notch cut on the underside. This type of handle I usually reserve for putting on the higher end knives but the wood was so charming I gave it some extra work.

The blade is sort of an in-betweener, custom request from the customer, being 230mm in edge length with a shorter than normal height of about 53mm at the heel.

I don't want to keep every knife I make but I'd keep this one if I could. ;)

View attachment 90947View attachment 90948View attachment 90949View attachment 90950View attachment 90951View attachment 90952

I just finished up this Martell 230mm Gyuto (Chef's Knife) made from CPM154 powdered stainless steel paired with a western handle made out of a streaked blond buffalo horn, nickel silver/G10 spacers, and some of the best quality koa I've ever worked with.

The wood was selected by the customer, sourced from SheltonPacific.com and is extremely understated in my pictures. Seriously, this handle needs video to show off it's character. Just incredible color tones, chatoyance, and all that which makes koa so awesome.

The handle shape is a bit out of the norm for me but something I have done before a few times. The ass end curve is more flat while there's a deeper finger notch cut on the underside. This type of handle I usually reserve for putting on the higher end knives but the wood was so charming I gave it some extra work.

The blade is sort of an in-betweener, custom request from the customer, being 230mm in edge length with a shorter than normal height of about 53mm at the heel.

I don't want to keep every knife I make but I'd keep this one if I could. ;)

View attachment 90947View attachment 90948View attachment 90949View attachment 90950View attachment 90951View attachment 90952
You’re an artist Dave!

ehh...I guess if you like super spectacular koa,great fit and finish and a killer grind it's ok. ....not my cup of tea:)

Here's a 225mm Wa Gyuto made from CPM-154. The handle made out of koa, buffalo horn, and nickel silver/G10 spacers.

I really like this handle a lot...I'll have to make one of these for myself one day. ;)

P1010006.JPG
P1010009.JPG
P1010010.JPG
P1010011.JPG
P1010015.JPG
P1010019.JPG

Last edited:
This new handle is made from a highly figured maple, streaked buffalo horn, and G10 spacers. It's mounted on an older Martell petty that was accidentally dropped on the floor and had it's original handle break in half. Hopefully this new one will have better luck in it's future. 😜

Martell Knives9.JPG

This new handle is made from a highly figured maple, streaked buffalo horn, and G10 spacers. It's mounted on an older Martell petty that was accidentally dropped on the floor and had it's original handle break in half. Hopefully this new one will have better luck in it's future. 😜

View attachment 122301
Wow.

Stunning.

Beautiful work Dave! I have been playing with curly maple a lot lately, but mine doesnt come out nearly as pretty as yours! Your color choices with the g10 and the horn all really make the grain features pop.

Thanks!

I really love figured maple, I wish I could talk more people into letting me use it. Not only is it inexpensive, from a maker's perspective it works nice, it's strong, and looks great often giving more movement (chatoyance?) than wood that costs three times as much. It can also be dyed and stained too!

Always a pleasure to see your work @Dave Martell ! I have this dream that one day I'm gonna land a takamura uchigumo/HSPS damascus and send it to you for rehandling. Until then 🤞🤞

You're not going to like what I have to say about rehandling those knives :oops:

Thanks for the kind words though!

That was all the customer's good taste.
I wonder how many great examples of your customers‘ great taste we‘re gonna see in the upcoming weeks/months. Looks like most of your customers have great taste...

Beyond kidding, I think you’re way too humble. Your customers give you the idea, but YOU are the artist, YOU make your customers‘ ideas shine in all their glory!

That was all the customer's good taste.

Awww, thanks @Dave Martell 😊 😊 😊

I wonder how many great examples of your customers‘ great taste we‘re gonna see in the upcoming weeks/months. Looks like most of your customers have great taste...

Beyond kidding, I think you’re way too humble. Your customers give you the idea, but YOU are the artist, YOU make your customers‘ ideas shine in all their glory!

I totally agree with @daddy yo yo - you're way too modest @Dave Martell !
This is your years of experience and skills as an artist.
I really love the swirly banding in the bottom photo!
Can't wait to get it in the hand!

Latest posts

Back