D. Martell Gallery- Martell Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished up with this CPM154 2 piece matching set. The suji is 270mm, the petty is 160mm, both convex ground, with my new western style handle shape.

The customer had the idea to use koa, and to go with all wood - with only spacers, as to show off the wood as much as possible...great idea! I then added in some Stefan Keller supplied old stock koa-supreme-o (from the same block!) and this is what we got.... :cool:

P1010001.JPG
P1010002.JPG
P1010005.JPG
P1010011.JPG
P1010012.JPG
P1010025.JPG

Just finished up with this CPM154 2 piece matching set. The suji is 270mm, the petty is 160mm, both convex ground, with my new western style handle shape.

The customer had the idea to use koa, and to go with all wood - with only spacers, as to show off the wood as much as possible...great idea! I then added in some Stefan Keller supplied old stock koa-supreme-o (from the same block!) and this is what we got.... :cool:

View attachment 141847View attachment 141848View attachment 141849View attachment 141850View attachment 141851View attachment 141852
Next please!

The customer ordered this matching set as a surprise gift for his fiancé. :cool:

The steel used is CPM154 paired with octagonal wa handles made out of exhibition grade koa (coming from the same block) with copper/G10 spacers for accent.

The nakiri is 180mm in length while the parer is the smallest knife I've made to date coming in at only 80mm long.

What do you think?

P1010007.JPG
P1010012.JPG
P1010013.JPG
P1010016.JPG
P1010020.JPG
P1010026.JPG
P1010028.JPG
P1010029.JPG

Small paring = better IMO. When they get larger you get this weird situation where they become less ideal for stuff like coring strawberries or cutting pits our of potatoes due to the extra length, while still being insufficient as a proper petty. The challenge is to have a small paring knife like this that both looks good and handles well; most of them will scale down the handle so things look proportional (and to some extent this is required for balance / weight as well), but often the result is a very anemic handle that's just too small for me.

Visually the only thing I'd change - and this is next level nitpicking is to move the logo a bit further down the blade on the paring; to me it's a bit off if it already starts before the heel of the knife. but that might just be my OCD talking; other than that she's a stunner!

Both those Koa pairs are insane. I am curious on the pros and cons of a k tip suji.

Agree on having a shorter paring for in hand work. I have an Ealy that is probably 75-80mm that is my go to, especially for coring strawberries.

Back