D. Martell Gallery- Martell Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My suji arrived today and WOW, this thing is incredible. I did not get a chance to cut anything yet as I just rolled into my new home last night at 1am and I'm still getting situated but I was able to gawk over it for a few minutes. The f&f is great, the blade is as thin as it should be without feeling whippy and the handle is beautiful. I'm so excited right now and can't wait to test this thing out!

Thanks for the kind and encouarging words everyone.

@Bryan, I've finally got way on your handle build up and I'm feeling good about this. :)

Good feelings are, well, good! I'm liking the sound of that Dave. I have this awesome new kitchen and awesome people, with awesome food and awesome ambiance ... I just need one more awesome thing and I might fully be in heaven

Here is Bryan G's 300mm western sujihiki in O-1. The handle is made from red linen micarta, the bolster is black canvas micarta, the pins are black linen micarta, and the liners black G10.

attachment.php

Bryan gave me just a couple of things he wanted in this knife, he was looking for a finger notch to be carved into the choil and the handle should be red with black. You would think that doing a basic red n black handle would be simple but getting red is always a problem. There's lots of red materials out there but most are either pink(ish) or just plain crap - I bought them all for this knife so I should know. In the end I finally scored this block of red linen micarta which out of the box looked brown and all up until the final finishing appeared that it would be pink so needless to say I was freaking out. The end results could not have been better though as it's very red in person and the material is top notch stuff. Since this knife will be used in a professional kitchen I believe tist choice of handle materials to be a perfect solution.

Here ya go Bryan....it's on it's way to you tomorrow. Special thanks to you and Mrs. G for all your support & patience here. :)

P1010028.jpg

p1010001.jpg

p1010007.jpg

P1010009.jpg

P1010011.jpg

P1010013.jpg

P1010019.jpg

P1010023.jpg

P1010025.jpg

Outstanding work Dave!

The black pins work well, love the red linen.

There are some neat commercial runs of micartas out there, some are limited batches.

I have a Dozier utility/hunter knife made up in Amber Ale that I think is the cat's azz.
http://www.knifemaker.ca/product.php?productid=16264&cat=258&page=1

And if you ever happen to stumble across any supply of the old Westinghouse stuff (long discontinued, plant shut down), particularly the ivory and yellow golds-- gobble it up!

Thank you Dave for your work and focus on getting the material. It's going to be nice next to the Spalted Blue Maple Hiro. Next time I'll leave everything up to you, even the color combinations ;)
Thank you again for altering your original choil design for me. It's going to make a huge difference to me in the kitchen with my technique and everything I will use it for, I mean EVERYTHING, literally going to use it for everything.

Kind Regards

Bryan

Bryan I'm really happy that you like it and hope that it serves you well for a long long time to come. :)

I have to comment that I just looked at the pictures on my wife's PC (better LED monitor) and the handle looked pink(ish) but let me assure you that it's all red in person, maybe light red - but red none the less!!!

Nice work! The etching also came out really well on that one.

I really have to calibrate my monitor, it's bright pink on my work screen and I was wondering what to think of it...

Stefan

I really have to calibrate my monitor, it's bright pink on my work screen and I was wondering what to think of it...

Stefan

I have an old CRT and it shows the true colors very well of things and this handle looks light red on my monitor but on Robin's LED monitor it's as pink as can be. :D

Looks red on mine clearly. It always tend to darker up after being in the kitchen for a bit. I agree and thought the same about the Makers mark. Definitely gonna market the Martell name around the kitchen for you. After thinking about it, I think I need a purple handled knife now. Blue is negative/calming. Red positive/aggressive. Purple is the color of the master. Balanced and wise. I'll put it all together down the line and we'll do a purple, or maybe pass that one on to Mr Mike Henry if I've given Dave enough headaches :) ... ah now for the waiting game! More pics to come Dave

Kind Regards

It's gotta go on a really special knife to be the "master" knife. Gotta do a yellow one too. The red one is the "get $^!t done" one

Open letter to my friend Dave Martell

Dave I got off work and am trying to contain myself from cutting everything in the house. Luckily I left my large board at work so it makes it a little easier. I have to admit I really wanted you to find some natural wood for the handle material, but stick with my thought of let the maker do what's in his heart and mind and it'll come out perfect. I think you picked out a fantastic combo and being as it will be used in a pro kitchen as you mentioned it is gong to work out fantastic. The choil is perfect and I don't know if you decided on changing your original spec or not, but I think it becomes a bit more versatile with the choil like this. The balance is spot on and everything I had slight concerns about before I got the knife are gone and I knew they would be. It is the perfect blend between east and west, laser and workhorse, slicer and chopper. I thought it might be too much with the width or the blade a bit too heafty after reading some comments... But this knife is light, agile and just well designed. Edge is great and thank you for the soft case. The handle is perfect balance with just enough weight on it, very light. I haven't even used it yet and I already know it's gonna be used for a long time to come my friend. The only problem I might have is I seem to do less cooking and more directing these days, might have to give the entire prep crew off at the new store tomorrow. Did I mention the handle is RED? Definitely even more so in person. Another one of a kind handles from you. I will be sure to place some pictures and hopefully videos up on my FB page and wherever I'ma post my stuff. Thank you again my friend for your focus and persistentance. Keep yourself positive and let go of any negativity of ANY kind you may hold in your mind, for surely if you do so, the sky is the limit my friend. You need not compare yourself to anyone else, your style is unique.

Kindest Regards

Bryan Gallagher

DSC_0644.JPG
right out the soft case on my board at work before even wiping the wax off it

DSC_0646.JPG
see

DSC_0704.JPG
back home after day of work, she is "all natural" ... she was busy with all different kinds and types

DSC_0705.JPG
building a patina quick

DSC_0709.JPG

DSC_0706.JPG

DSC_0710.JPG
Thank you Dave, gotta adjust to the length still a bit, but it's super versatile. I see a shorter version down the road to match. This thing is like a gyuto/suji/yangi. The weight is spot on for me. If it was heavier there is no way I could go long periods using it. Anyways I look forward to a full review with better photos and input. You did a great job and I thank you.

Kind Regards

Bryan

DSC_0665.JPG

To prove she cuts, here's a dish I did today with her. She cuts butter ... i mean tuna ... like butter :wink:

Cuts tuna like butter....I love it! Thanks for the pictures and updates Bryan. :doublethumbsup:

Isn't it great to see your work, at work and the culinary results? No questions Bryan is a happy camper.

Beautiful dish and photo Bryan and of course, great work Dave, I love that handle.

Here are Sean's 240mm Martell gyutos.

I have no idea what the wood types are as they were supplied by the customer. One is spalty and tough (an odd combination of attributes) and the other was what I'll refer to as "corkwood" (so you get the picture there). :)

The blades are made from O-1, full tang western style, copper pins, African blackwood bolsters, & G10 liners.

attachment.php

P1010030.jpg

p1010001.jpg

p1010007.jpg

P1010009.jpg

P1010012.jpg

P1010013.jpg

P1010016.jpg

P1010017.jpg

P1010021.jpg

P1010023.jpg

P1010024.jpg