D. Martell Gallery - Re-Handles

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here we have 2 (previously wa) Shigefusa knives converted to western handles (without ass end hooks!).

Both used wood from the same blocks, Redheart Oregon Maple & Kingwood with copper accents.

P1010001.JPG

P1010005.JPG

P1010011.JPG

P1010016.JPG

P1010022.JPG

P1010024.JPG

This is a teeny-tiny Asai paring knife that's been converted from a MASSIVE wa handle to a more fitting sized western (without ass end hook!).

The handle is made from amboyna burl & buffalo horn.

*Please excuse the dust seen in the pictures. :O

P1010010.JPG

P1010004.JPG

P1010005.JPG

P1010008.JPG

P1010012.JPG

P1010013.JPG

P1010014.JPG

This is a teeny-tiny Asai paring knife that's been converted from a MASSIVE wa handle to a more fitting sized western (without ass end hook!).

The handle is made from amboyna burl & buffalo horn.

*Please excuse the dust seen in the pictures. :O

That's a beauty on par with Michael Raders collaberative pieces with them. Legit stunning. The two tone wood and san mai is beautiful

That's a beauty on par with Michael Raders collaberative pieces with them. Legit stunning. The two tone wood and san mai is beautiful

Woh! That's a major compliment that I'm not sure I deserve....but I'll take it...thanks! :wink:

Here's a MONSTER 360mm Misono Dragon Gyuto with it's new exhibition grade koa handle with copper pins....

P1010003.JPG

P1010006.JPG

P1010014.JPG

P1010015.JPG

P1010022.JPG

P1010023.JPG

P1010024.JPG

It's absolutely beautiful and I love how the curl sort of curves with the hook in the end of the handle too... you laid the block out perfectly Dave!

I'm sooooooooo glad to hear that you like it T. The way the wood was laid out was both our ideas though, we just saw it the same way. :)

That broadsword is badass AF, and your finish on the wood is beautiful Dave.

There's not much cooler than a massive gyuto WITH A DRAGON ON IT AND AN AMAZING PIECE OF KOA ! IVE COMMITED TO CAPS AND CANT STOP NOW !!! GREAT JOB DAVE!!!

Sometimes yelling is perfectly OK, this is one of those times! Thanks :D

That broadsword is badass AF, and your finish on the woods is beautiful Dave.

This knife is a sword, at least a short sword anyway, it's MASSIVE! I was jumping between this and petties, my brain was having fits. :D

Thanks for the comments on the finish. I had actually planned to do something more subtle as that's my preference for koa but no matter what I tried I couldn't get the movement in the wood to show unless I went shiny so shiny it is!

there is nothing wrong with a shiny handle on a Dragon slaying sword :viking:

This knife is a sword, at least a short sword anyway, it's MASSIVE! I was jumping between this and petties, my brain was having fits. :D

Thanks for the comments on the finish. I had actually planned to do something more subtle as that's my preference for koa but no matter what I tried I couldn't get the movement in the wood to show unless I went shiny so shiny it is!

It looks great, I imagine it may get more subtle as you had wanted with time but we'll see. Once back I'll be sure to post some pics with other things for perspective

It looks great, I imagine it may get more subtle as you had wanted with time but we'll see. Once back I'll be sure to post some pics with other things for perspective

I want to see a picture of her in hand :bigeek:

Takamura western gyuto converted to a hybrid western/wa octagonal hidden tang handle! :)

These knives may not look like anything special in regards to rehandling them but I'm here to testify that they're SUPER challenging. The bolsters are angled, not square, and the tangs are whacked. Unless you want a crap fit up you pretty much have to go to hidden tang but that brings it's challenges too as the rear of the bolsters need to be flattened - ugh! I will be charging extra for these knives in the future. :spiteful:

I've got two more to do for this set but I finished this one through to completion to make sure that I had it dialed in. What do you think of it?

The wood used here is stabilized Norfolk Pine.

P1010003.JPG

P1010004.JPG

P1010005.JPG

P1010006.JPG

P1010007.JPG

P1010011.JPG

P1010013.JPG

P1010017.JPG

P1010018.JPG

That Takamura gyuto was executed masterfully! I know there was alot of uncertainty with the hidden tang octagonal wa handle which tapers into the rounded bolster, but it looks exactly as I had thought it would (I was inspired by the Takamura Hana suji), I cannot wait to see how the suji and petty turn out!

Back