D. Martell Gallery - Re-Handles

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a Shun bread knife, sold through Williams Sonoma, that's been modified a bit.

It was supposed to have had a simple handle upgrade by changing out the plastic for a burled wood but that all went south during the execution. Small poorly ground hollow bolster and soft wood forced my hand to poor craftsmanship so that coarse of action was scrapped. In it's place we went with grinding off the bolster and going for an octagonal wa design.

The customer requested African Blackwood, black buffalo horn, white bone, and a mosaic pin as the components....he got them all.

I hope you like it John! :)

shun_bread_knife_before_after1-jpg.17875

P1010003.JPG
P1010009.JPG
P1010011.JPG
P1010013.JPG
P1010016.JPG
P1010018.JPG

Attachments

• Shun_bread_knife_before_after1.jpg
    Shun_bread_knife_before_after1.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 99
ABW against black horn is very subtle, very bling but still understated handle. Nice job!

besides all of the carters I've sold, i miss the watanabes a lot too....they r great knives...ryan

Here we have a 240 mm Sukenari ZDP189 damascus clad gyuto with a brand new handle made out of desert ironwood and an 11 spacer stack of copper, nickel silver, & G10 spacers.

What do you think?

P1010002.JPG
P1010007.JPG
P1010011.JPG
P1010012.JPG
P1010013.JPG
P1010015.JPG
P1010016.JPG
P1010019.JPG

So ...

A long time ago, I had Stefan make a handle for me out of a vintage piece of bakelite. It was amazing. I loved it. I left kkf thinking I'd never need another knife again ...
img-0621-e1555555601955.jpg

And then ... a month ago ... I came crawling back ... because ...
I FOUND A CRACK IN THE HANDLE!

I guess some water must have seeped in (we think between the horn and the spacer) and over time caused a problem. I sent it to Dave, begging for his help. Of course, it ended being a bit of a nightmare to fix apparently, but Dave did it! Just when I thought the handle was doomed, and the knife was never to be used again, it's now back in my hands, proudly showing off its CA "scar":
img-0620-e1555555715193.jpg

Many thanks to Dave and his excellent work. I know he was disappointed that it "wasn't perfect" - but in my mind, that's not the point. We go through all these lengths to get these knives and then use them. And over time, just like an excellent pair of raw denim, they begin to show off the wear unique to the user. It makes it beautiful. Thanks Dave, for saving the Stefan handle live to fight another day! It's not like I could easily find a Konosuke HD (1st gen) and Stefan Bakelite handle just lying around to make another of these!

(I also had him sharpen it for me - so it's basically like new!)

So ...

A long time ago, I had Stefan make a handle for me out of a vintage piece of bakelite. It was amazing. I loved it. I left kkf thinking I'd never need another knife again ...
img-0621-e1555555601955.jpg

And then ... a month ago ... I came crawling back ... because ...
I FOUND A CRACK IN THE HANDLE!

I guess some water must have seeped in (we think between the horn and the spacer) and over time caused a problem. I sent it to Dave, begging for his help. Of course, it ended being a bit of a nightmare to fix apparently, but Dave did it! Just when I thought the handle was doomed, and the knife was never to be used again, it's now back in my hands, proudly showing off its CA "scar":
img-0620-e1555555715193.jpg

Many thanks to Dave and his excellent work. I know he was disappointed that it "wasn't perfect" - but in my mind, that's not the point. We go through all these lengths to get these knives and then use them. And over time, just like an excellent pair of raw denim, they begin to show off the wear unique to the user. It makes it beautiful. Thanks Dave, for saving the Stefan handle live to fight another day! It's not like I could easily find a Konosuke HD (1st gen) and Stefan Bakelite handle just lying around to make another of these!

(I also had him sharpen it for me - so it's basically like new!)

I'm glad to be able to have helped Terry, thanks for the work! :)

Here's a Watanabe cleaver that was originally western handled, now converted to octagonal wa. The customer supplied the wood, wanted a slightly larger handle, and for it to be flush it to the blade. The wood is maple burl. I hope this works for you Ryan. :)

P1010001.JPG
P1010006.JPG
P1010008.JPG
P1010011.JPG
P1010014.JPG
P1010017.JPG

This one is a slightly different handle than I normally do although I hope to do more of these in the near future. ;)

P101001.JPG

The wa handle is made from figured maple and blond buffalo horn. The wood was provided by the customer who got it from his uncle. As you can see in the before and after shot the color of the maple was originally very natural (blond) yet the customer wanted color. Since I was fortunate to have him here in my shop for a class we were able to come up with a plan of attack for this as well as he picked out the horn that looked good to him.

What I did to achieve the look of the wood's end result was a several part process....

First I used nitric acid/iron to bring out the figuring quite a bit. This is an old technique used for hundreds of years in the rifle making industry of Pennsylvania, etc. Google it up, it's very interesting stuff.

The customer also wanted the wood to be burnt so I scorched it....lightly.

Then I dyed/stained it using 5 different types of products to get just the right look. We were shooting for some red tones and some flash of orange/gold/yellow and got pretty close to what we both were looking for.

In person this handle has crazy movement and flash but in the pictures looks sort of blah in comparison but at least the customer should be pleased when he gets it in hand.

The knife is a Fujiwara something or other that's been thinned by the gents down at District Cutlery with the spine and choil rounded/polished by myself for comfort.

I hope it serves you well Nick! :)

P1010012.JPG

P1010014.JPG

P1010015.JPG

P1010019.JPG

P1010021.JPG

P1010026.JPG

Latest posts

Back