Gekko knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul6001

Banned
Reaction score
I’ve been looking at this store on eBay. What is the general opinion of their knives. Quality? Do they have a particular style?

This is the current knife of my dreams-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GEKKO-Blue...b-087e-40ff-be9f-0fa4a309bd96&redirect=mobile

It’s a blue steel gyotu, if the link isn’t working. Any thoughts? I just sent them the following letter. If any KKF members have any thoughts, I’d love to hear them.

“To Gekko. Looks beautiful. Is the cladding stainless or reactive? This would be my first carbon knife. Assuming that the blue steel blade is the only reactive part of the knife, please give me an idea of the maintenance involved. I’m through with the knife. I wash and dry it, double checking to make sure that it’s completely dry. Every once in a while I put some oil on the blade. Is that enough? That doesn’t seem like too much work. Or is there more involved?

Another question: No one would mistake me for a master knife sharpener. Will this knife prove impossible? I’m willing to put in a little extra effort; I want to learn. But I don’t want to get myself into an impossible situation.

Final question: on a scale of 1to 5, with 1 being a laser and 5 being a workhorse, where would you rank this knife?

Definetly not a laser by any means... Havent handled that exact knife but im confident in saying its no laser by any means... I have a funayuki purchased off of ebay from tosa and its an enjoyable knife and very good for sharpening practice and testing stone finishes... Mine is aogami #1 as per the kanji symbols... Its most definetly a reactive blade, cladding and core so if you move forward, please do some homework on proper care/upkeep but dont be intimidated. Jon from JKI has a fabulous video on care and upkeep when using reactive blades FYI. Check him out on Youtube for a tutorial! YouTube has plenty of sharpening tutorials as well and I suggest you do some research on sharpening and get some inexpensive stones to learn/practice on.... J
Hope this helps!

I have a working relationship with Gekko, and have customized several dozen knives from them; stainless nashiji/ kurouchi clad blue steel knives to be exact. Also, a few kurouchi iron clad, and a few migaki, as well as a few PM. They are a terrific value knife, with terrible plastic ferruled handles. I would consider them to be thinner than most Tosa knives at the spine, with minimal, but present distal taper. Decently thin at the edge, with a better than average / even grind. The hardness for the particar steels seems average; Maybe 61 for the blue 2? Pretty sharp spine and choil. The stainless clad in particular, is hard to match at the price point.

Last edited:
This is a stainless clad Gekko 165mm funayuki. Friggin' love this knife!

Attachments

• IMG_20180704_101157_744.jpg
    IMG_20180704_101157_744.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 124
Perhaps this would better suit your maintanance requirements? There's also a santoku for the same price/same length if you prefer one profile or another. I find That its very helpful to establish a dialogue with the seller (especially first time purchases) you can then express your needs to the seller. Oftrr times they are very welcoming and you can take this opportunity to ask for photos of multiple examples to choose from ECT.... From what No Chop has stated, this leads me to believe that this would be possible. Ive considered these when purchasing my tosa funayuki and as stated previously, its been a fun little knife as I have wayyy too many 240's atm..... I love the way mine cuts and sharpens. I got mine off of ebay for 40.00 I believe.... It seems that bernal is carrying the exact same knife line as of late too (same handle sticker ECT). Similar price point as well....
Ebay stainless clad KU gekko bunks:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GEKKO-Blue...Handle-1643-/372776416229?hash=item56cb34b3e5

Back