Gengetsu vs Heiji

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NaclSalt

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am on the market for a new line knife preferably in the stainless clad carbon or a semi stainless core. I've narrowed down to either a Gengetsu or Heiji as both come with a semi-stainless core and have heard good about both. Let me know what you guys think of both or if there is something you personally like more in that same category.

I've owned both. They're two very different beasts. The gengetsu that I owned was the thinnest knife behind the edge I've seen to date; heiji is thicker overall and has amazing food separation. Both boast some of the easiest to sharpen semistainless or stainless I've seen.

They're both great knives.

Gengetsu will be about 30g lighter than Heiji (assuming 240mm) and Heiji will run a tad longer.
They are both great, but very different knives
I think of Gengetsu as a slave knife that will do everything you need it to no questions asked, and a Heiji a mighty beast to tame.

Darn I am so torn between the two. @CiderBear description made the Gengetsu seem like the knife I am looking for, but I am worried that the Gengetsu in 210mm is just too light for me (128grams) compared to the heiji that is 194grams for 210mm.

I have the 240 SS gengetsu, love it but it does feels light. Cuts like a laser and easy to sharpen. Heiji just might be my next purchase.

I've owned both. They're two very different beasts. The gengetsu that I owned was the thinnest knife behind the edge I've seen to date; heiji is thicker overall and has amazing food separation. Both boast some of the easiest to sharpen semistainless or stainless I've seen.

They're both great knives.
+1
Very different species indeed.
Gengetsu is thinner, lighter, with a more modest grind. Heiji is thicker, heavier, with a wide bevel and pronounced shoulders (that help with food separation).
I like Gengetsu a lot--fun all arounder. I haven't used Heiji enough to make up my mind.

My 240mm Gesshin Heiji (semi-stainless) weighs 219 grams, but my 240mm Gesshin Gengetsu (white #2) weighs 171 grams. So, the difference would be 48 grams in my case. The difference could be even bigger, i imagine, based on Jon's measurements at his site.

Gesshin Heiji is a bit taller and the choil hints at a more convex grind; Gengetsu is a thinner knife overall and can deal with harder product like a dream.

Both cut very well and both are a pleasure to use. I would choose based on liking a heavier versus lighter blade.

Last edited:
Here are 2 choil shots if you're interested:
Gengetsu 240 mm
ZKq8jQbm.jpg

Heiji ~256 mm (ordered as a 240)
BH1BwRzm.jpg

My gengetsu SS 210 is the perfect weight for me. The substanital spine and handle size gives the perfect in hand feel and blade forward balance. I love it. Best 210 I own. Gesshin Heiji is on my shortlist as well though.

I've had both. The Heiji just didn't blow my skirt up. Didn't dislike it but had to re-home it. The wide bevel was part of the reason. The Gengetsu (plural) work for me like they were made for me. Like.

YMMV.

The gengetsu isn't available to be shipped right now, since Jon's shop is closed due to LA county orders, as per his website.

But anyway, I like the gengetsu better as a get-it-done knife. The heiji is for if you like a slightly harder steel that is more pleasurable to sharpen and feels like it gets sharper. . . though it can be more brittle. Since you are getting it as a line knife, I'd say gengetsu, because the thinner grind allows it do more of what you may want. The heiji is still fun though . . .

Gengetsu is more of a all around knife and heiji is more specialized with more idiosyncrasies. For a one knife to do it all Gengetsu SS, for I've had 20 knives, I am bored and want to try something interesting Heiji. If i had to have just one knife Gengetsu would be it.

Get the 240 Gengetsu on BST before it’s gone! I almost bought it, but I don’t really need another knife atm.

Heiji is thicker, heavier, with a wide bevel and pronounced shoulders (that help with food separation).

What do you mean by food separation? I think of food separation as the ease which the knife moves through dense product. Seems like shoulders make this worse, no? I mean, if you round the shoulders, food separation usually improves.

Thank you all for the replies and help! I didn't know there was such a difference between the two, but for what I am looking for it seems as if the gengetsu is more of what I had in mind. Don't think wide bevel would have been my cup of tea anyways lol.

Get the 240 Gengetsu on BST before it’s gone! I almost bought it, but I don’t really need another knife atm.

I would have as the price is super good, but I dont need another 240 for work.

Reactions: ian
Looking through thread again, if you want a "line" knife and are thinking about a 210, you may want to consider one of the 180 gyuto in it's stead.

I'm too old to be working the line anymore but at catering events I usually have a 180 with me for quick and nimble work before plating. Like the line but different. A couple I like are the stainless clad Watanabe and the Gesshin Ginga (stainless).

What do you mean by food separation? I think of food separation as the ease which the knife moves through dense product. Seems like shoulders make this worse, no? I mean, if you round the shoulders, food separation usually improves.
I just meant food release. As to rounding shoulder on a heiji, I think @panda did that and reports back that it helped (and got rid of some wedging). I could be wrong.
Good point about terms to describe how a knife moves through dense product. I would think whether factors besides grind would matter--like weight, height of knife, height of product, force... It's one thing to halve a whole butternut squash vs. cubing slices of butternut squash. or slicing a 4" tall piece of parm cheese vs. slicing those slices...

Reactions: ian
Back