Gengetsu vs Yoshikane distal taper

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thanks to KFF I got a Yoshikane SKD and completely fallen in love with it, now I want to explore more of Sanjo knives with similar cutting experience.
One knife I’m really interested in is Gengetsu from JKI, it seems to be a lighter and thinner Yoshikane, and I would love one like that. One of the only complains (not really complain, more like hope for improvement) is the distal taper on the Yoshi is not aggressive as I hope it would be. How does the Gengetsu compare in this aspect? Is it more aggressive or similar?

thank you!

For comparison, from top to bottom
Mazaki
Gengetsu
Yoshi Tsuchime (thicker grind)
Yoshi Nashiji (thin grind)
Kippington Laser
Hinoura Hyakuren

FWIW, The Wakui Tsuchime is similar to the Yoshi Tsuchime
20220220_135037.jpg

I'll see if I can take a pic or two 2morrow. My recollection is that the Gengetsu tip tapers to nothing and cuts through onion a bit easier than the Yoshi.

Thank you!

Edit: That Kippington is impressive. Hope he drop more Workpony soon.

Western makers don't shy into a thin tip or an accentuated taper like J-makers tend to.

035.jpg

@HSC /// Knives - the spine tapering carried all through the grind down to the very last few mm up the edge - where it's just thin all along.

I'll see if I can take a pic or two 2morrow. My recollection is that the Gengetsu tip tapers to nothing and cuts through onion a bit easier than the Yoshi.
FWIW, my Gengetsu is 2nd generation, which understand has an overall thinner grind.

IIRC, yours was the original Gengetsu?

Back