Reaction score
Gesshin Hide 270 mm Blue 1 Hon-kasumi yanagiba

Bought 2017

Length: 270mm
Height: 34 mm
Weight: 186 g
Thickness at heel: 4mm
Thickness 100mm behind tip: 3mm

Small black spots from long-term storage. They will go away with sharpenings. Original deeper grinding marks still present at heel. Bevel is even and has slight clamshell.

$270
$320

PXL_20210513_232704740.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Forty Ounce

Reaction score
Did you sand the hira? The reason I ask is because the shinogi looks rounded.

refcast

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I did. I can resharpen the bevel if you want it super crisp though.

refcast

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sanded the blade face and the ura to make the grind marks less deep. The bevel was flattened and then slight conexing. I ended up rounding the shinogi a bit though.

Added mineral oil / beeswax to saya and handle and 0000 steel wool.

Bevel is uchigumoru fingerstones then metal polish and jnat powder.

refcast

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I tried it stock the more pronounced shinogi helped with food release, but I would have to press down a bit more and making thinner cuts wasn't as nice as I wanted. This was 5 years ago when I didn't know as much, but those were my preferences then.

It's like the laser vs food release debate I think except I knew less and was was wrong. I think I understand grinds more now, and a crisp shinogi helps food release way better than a rounded one.

The hira was a bit concave stock, which I didn't like as much and made the shinogi crisp and pronounced, but also thicker at that ridge.

The hira near the heel is still a bit that way, but the ridge is reduced. I asked Jon about it a bit day back then, and what I remember was the makers ( whether in general, the region, or this maker) doesn't focus on making the hira flat.

I'll probably sharpen it tomorrow to get the little dots on the hard steel out.

Last edited: