Japanese Knives gesshin ittetsu user experiences?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a petty that I use when I need something smaller than a gyuto. I rarely use a parer except for say peeling potatoes. It's a good knife I would never sell.

That 240 is calling my name. If Christmas was not right around the corner, I would be all over that beauty!

That 240 is calling my name. If Christmas was not right around the corner, I would be all over that beauty!
I sure do miss mine. One day I’ll grab a 270mm.
FC14E699-F334-4FBA-9675-69273D78D44A.jpeg

Necro-ing this thread to see if anyone other than labor has tried the non-honyaki gyutos in this series :)

I feel like the 240mm hon-kasumi one is just calling out my name

I can't speak for an ittetsu gyuto, but the single bevel petty I owned was truly top shelf. You could really tell the sharpener was aiming for perfection, both in terms of performance and aesthetics. Lovely little knife.

I’ve been wanting to try one 4-evah. Someday. *sigh*
You should buy one so I can borrow it :(
I can't speak for an ittetsu gyuto, but the single bevel petty I owned was truly top shelf. You could really tell the sharpener was aiming for perfection, both in terms of performance and aesthetics. Lovely little knife.
How was the heat treatment of your knife?

The single bevel petty sounds lovely, though I don't know if I'll ever be skilled enough to use it. The normal petty and the gyutos, however...

Reactions: ian
Necro-ing this thread to see if anyone other than labor has tried the non-honyaki gyutos in this series :)

I feel like the 240mm hon-kasumi one is just calling out my name

So Im insanely late but this thread appears to have a bit of phone tag to it so Im going to go for it; as it happens I happen to have the plain 240 Gesshin Ittetsu gyuto in white steel.

The cons are the profile is an awkward combination of quite tall but also quite short, the tip drops too much for my preference, and food release is better on other knives (duh).

Pros are everything else. It cuts like an absolute demon, F&F is awesome, it seems to hold an edge slightly better than my Kato does, and Jon very graciously put a different handle on it for me, iirc burned chestnut (which I paid for, but hey not everyone will do that). Also, the cladding seems a bit less reactive than some other knives I own, which is probably a plus to a lot of people. Great push cutter for veg if you want to cut it up real small.

No knife is all things to all people. But if you want a knife that cuts this one definitely cuts.

Back