Quantcast

getting a 1/2 longhorn (what cuts )

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

l r harner

Banned
Reaction score
while i dont think i want to have primal cuts what are some of the good ways to have it broke down

Eamon Burke

Banned
Reaction score
Depends on what you like, but just remember that longhorn is a lean, mean cow. The brisket on the longhorns we raised was leaner than grocery store chicken breast. Don't expect marbling of the highest order, and pick cuts you like accordingly.

l r harner

Banned
Reaction score
we are gettign it cause it lean and i plan on bacon wraping some cuts adn using the snoker on others

tgraypots

Reaction score
Butch, I bought 1/4 of a black angus last fall along with friends who bought the rest of the cow. It was pasture raised by friends and butchered by a local slaughter/packing house. I called the packing house and asked their advice, then had my share cut into steaks, roasts, stew beef and some ground for spaghetti sauce, chili, etc.

l r harner

Banned
Reaction score
yep the plan is for a mixed batc of cuts but i didnt know if maybe i should get the strip loin whole (i have cut steaks from whole loins )

tgraypots

Reaction score
As much as I like to cut stuff up, that meat had to be piled into the freezer as soon as I got home with it, mine plus my sister's 1/4. I just had them do it all to my specs to make my life a little easier. BTW, there are folks here raising longhorns, American bison and Watusi also.

UCChemE05

Reaction score
...had my share cut into steaks, roasts, stew beef and some ground for spaghetti sauce, chili, etc.
This is what my wife and I do. Works great for us. never needed to specify any more at the local butcher shop. We get about half our ground beef in "bulk" and half preformed into patties.