Getting rid of garlic and onion smells

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Intersting article...
enzyme can oxidize sulfurous compounds, including the thiols and thiocyanates that give garlic its pungent odor, turning them into odorless compounds.

flavours definitely infuse into the conditioning oil of wood boards,
my preferred method is to avoid the problem altogether and use
dedicated aromatic prep boards, even if they are plastic.

I find that just moisturizing the board with oil or board butter cuts most of the smell. I've never found lemon or vinegar useful, but then again, my board fits in the sink and is at least rinsed each time I use it in cold water. I find boards pick up smells most when on the dry side. I use my board undiscriminately for both meat and veg.

This sounds like a great idea and I’m gonna try it. I’ve had decent success with (industry standard?) kosher salt and lemon juice.
x2. Salt with either vinegar or lemon juice is very effective. This is what I do for my wife's board periodically, as she tends to leave things the remnants of cut produce on the board on a daily basis.

I save the ends of my lemons and limes to do that, I find the soft pith (white stuff) helps take out a lot of imbedded smells.

I save the ends of my lemons and limes to do that, I find the soft pith (white stuff) helps take out a lot of imbedded smells.
That’s a good idea. The pith is what contains all those bitter (tanic?) compounds...that must have some neutralizing effect on garlic and onions?

Same, but I throw on some salt to help give it an abrasive scrubbing effect.

McGee also touches on this in 'on Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen', recommending to eat apple after a garlic heavy meal

Well, I can definitely confirm that apple draws out the garlic flavor.

I agree, oil seems to help; I have wondered about getting smells out, and I'm curious to try the lemon idea.

I did have one case where I oiled a stinky board, then washed it; I feel like the aromatics were oil-soluble, and got lifted out during the process. I don't know yet how executive that it's comparitively, but it'd be interesting to test.

It can be worth the investment to buy a dedicated "stank" board, or a dedicated "delicate items" board.

Back