Getting STRESSED-new car!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sudsy9977

Founding Member
Reaction score
My wife wants to buy a new car. Getting so stressed. I have two cars to either trade in or sell too. I’m dyin over here! Ryan

My friend got great deal selling at car max, better than trade in.

I have one of those car cash places right by my house. Figured it can’t hurt to see what they offer me. I really don’t want to do a private sale. Ryan

I've been searching for a new truck for the last week. I don't really need one now but the deals are so good I hate to pass them up because I will definitely want to buy in a couple years anyway. My truck is 18 yrs old but still in good shape with low miles but stuff has to start falling apart sooner or later. Vehicle buying has always been stressful to me, that's why I'm driving an 18 yr old truck.

Last edited:
Gas efficiencies & technologies features make it worth getting a new one.

Silly features like back heater, steering wheel heater are becoming standard, something you won’t be able to let go once experienced it.

Depending on the age of the car, CarMax and similar places may be 15-20% lower than dealers. Both of our last two trade ins, we did substantially better through the dealer than CarMax.
Interesting, while I have limited experience, it was the exact opposite.

are the cars desirable? yours? For example; Is one of them a Pontiac Aztec? :)

I think private sales are your best bet to get more seed money for the next rig.

my wife and I both could use a new vehicle. Both are similar mileage and vintage. Not smart getting ourselves into this situation. But screw it, no new purchase in the near future. Not in these economic muddy waters.

we haven’t had a car payment since 2008. We’ve gotten accustomed to that freedom.

So I have a 2013 Mercedes gl suv. A 2006 sl 500 , a 2007 Ford Edge , and a 2006 bmw 525. They all suck. For one reason or another. I would consider keeping the sl convertible because it’s pretty nice and reliable. The edge sucks. I hate it. I would never buy a Ford again probably just because of that car. I’m thinking maybe a Subaru crosstrek or Impreza.

I’m lucky. I drive a 2006 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 and my wife has a 2005 Subaru Forester. I can’t say the Subaru has been trouble free ( the top end needed to be rebuilt). But it’s solid now.

im gonna ride this for as long as I can before we buy. I do however think it’s a pretty good time to shop now. My wife dones want a new Toyota RAV4 hybrid since her Subaru is turbocharped and runs super unleaded. Gets 21 mpg :(

Those turbo Foresters with manual trans. already are somewhat of a hot idem. I was checking them online all were already sold at many diff. sites. For good coin. You cannot even get a manual Forester in the US anymore. Stopped making them couple yrs. ago.

Janice has a regular 2007 with auto trans. It sucks engine races & kind of jerks into gear. If trying to get up speed on ramp etc. Been told that they have better auto trans. in newer models.

Have a 2009 Honda with short throw stick shift. It is fun to drive.

Was checking out Honda S2000 online. They hold value pretty good compared to other sports or supercars that lose a ton of value over 10 yrs. Modern day Jags cost big bucks you can buy them 10 yrs. later for nothing.

S2000 made 10 years 1999-2009 many were run hard on tracks. Think lower milage good examples will become collectable in the future.

When we lived in Maine I had a great (independent) mechanic who I very much miss as he was scrupulously honest and cheaper than anyone competent I've found in the Minneapolis metro area. His take on newer cars was buy a Honda or a Toyota/Lexus. Maine roads are heavily dominated by domestic pickups, Subarus, and Toyota Prius (he won't work on hybrids). He had few positive things to say about either Subarus or domestics but he rated Ford as the least bad domestic marque. His take on both BMWs and M-B was that they are fine when they are new but you don't want to hang on to them too long out of warranty unless you absolutely love the car and are prepared to absorb the maintenance.

Those turbo Foresters with manual trans. already are somewhat of a hot idem. I was checking them online all were already sold at many diff. sites. For good coin. You cannot even get a manual Forester in the US anymore. Stopped making them couple yrs. ago.

Janice has a regular 2007 with auto trans. It sucks engine races & kind of jerks into gear. If trying to get up speed on ramp etc. Been told that they have better auto trans. in newer models.

Have a 2009 Honda with short throw stick shift. It is fun to drive.

Was checking out Honda S2000 online. They hold value pretty good compared to other sports or supercars that lose a ton of value over 10 yrs. Modern day Jags cost big bucks you can buy them 10 yrs. later for nothing.

S2000 made 10 years 1999-2009 many were run hard on tracks. Think lower milage good examples will become collectable in the future.

true. we get asked by some random kid every often if we want to sell it. my wife is super desirable. it is white with black leather interior. the stick shift is a nice change when i drive her car.

I had a 1999 Ford Expedition I put 176,000 on. Bought it new as a business vehicle when I owned my company. The only thing I ever had to do to it was change oil and brakes and a couple of batteries. The rig was bulletproof. Before that rig all my cars were Toyota’s or Lexus which I’m a big fan of. I now have a Ford F-150 Platinum which I love but I don’t think it’s going to hold up like the Expedition. My wife has a Toyota Sequoia that’s been very reliable as well. We don’t buy new cars often because they are such a bad investment. I too hate working with dealers and it is stressful buying a new car. The only advantage I see for trading in a vehicle is tax savings. You only pay tax on the difference which you can’t do if you sell the car on your own. I sold my Expedition to a friend several years ago now and it’s still going strong.

get a new corvette
Wilma would be way too annoying without back seat social distancing!
IMG_0497.jpg

Thanks for all the replies. My wife wants to keep the Mercedes suv because it’s luxurious. Yeah and it’s a 2013 with like 150k miles. In another year or two I’ll be in the same spot as my garbage cars now. I wanna trade it in while it’s worth something. God help me!

Thanks for all the replies. My wife wants to keep the Mercedes suv because it’s luxurious. Yeah and it’s a 2013 with like 150k miles. In another year or two I’ll be in the same spot as my garbage cars now. I wanna trade it in while it’s worth something. God help me!

You're right, not that that will help you.

...no new purchase in the near future. Not in these economic muddy waters.

we haven’t had a car payment since 2008. We’ve gotten accustomed to that freedom.
Now is the time to buy. Some screaming great deals out there right now because of the economy. It's the biggest reason I'm looking to buy now and not in two or three years when it will cost me thousands more when the economy is hopefully doing much better.

Last edited:
I see a lot of 0% financing, but other then that what screaming deals have you found?

Mercedes favorite car for Korean bar owners here.

Get rid of it before expensive repair bills. Same with BMW.

Only German car I want is the early Porsche Cayman S with the flat six.

When we lived in Maine I had a great (independent) mechanic who I very much miss as he was scrupulously honest ......... His take on both BMWs and M-B was that they are fine when they are new but you don't want to hang on to them too long out of warranty unless you absolutely love the car and are prepared to absorb the maintenance.
When we sold my wife's '03 MINI to a friend we took it to his independent German service shop for a once over. We were there first thing in the morning and there was a pristine 7 series and 5 series already in the lot. I figured they were customers' who had dropped them off the night before. Nope, they were cars that were in otherwise mint condition but had some mechanical issue that would cost more to repair than the car was worth. They were basically just very pretty scrap. The owners had abandoned them.

I still have a couple of friends who are die-hard Euro fans. But all of the "normal" people I know who bought Merc's, BMW's, Audi's and especially Range Rovers got absolutely sick of them.

.... You cannot even get a manual Forester in the US anymore. Stopped making them couple yrs. ago.....
2018, got one of the very last ones.

Had a 2015 that had been great but when I found they were dropping the stick for 2019 I figured it was my last chance so I might as well have one with 30k fewer miles on it.

.... I can’t say the Subaru has been trouble free ( the top end needed to be rebuilt). But it’s solid now.....
It's a Subaru, wouldn't that be a side end?

Back