Giant butcher block?

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by sudsy9977, Nov 29, 2018.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Nov 29, 2018 #1

sudsy9977

sudsy9977

sudsy9977

Founding Member

Anyone have any suggestions. I have a big butcher block like the ones used in old fashioned butcher shops. It’s crazy warped on the top and has all accumulated gunk on the sides and bottom. What kind of tools could I use to flatten the top? Any professional I could bring it to to pay to do the top? Maybe someone who does cabinets or something?

What about years of fats and oil soaking into it. Any advice on small cracks? I don’t know where to start. Ryan

2. Nov 29, 2018 #2

Pensacola Tiger

Pensacola Tiger

Pensacola Tiger

Founding Member

What are the dimensions? I used a radial arm saw and a surface planer attachment to level a 24" x 36" table top. Slow work, but the end result was fine.

3. Nov 29, 2018 #3

tedg

tedg

tedg

Hobbyist Craftsman

I don't know what you might have for tools, but its easy enough to build a sled for a router to ride on. (Google router sleds)
    You don't mention a size. In my shop I have a 43" wide belt sander, but its limited to 8" in height. Mine is a midsized machine, they come a lot bigger. Most any well equipped custom wood shop has one. One pass over a jointer will clean up all the sides nicely. As for small cracks, I would clean them with acetone then (depending on the size of the crack) make small wedges, (with the grain running in the right direction) glue and tap them in place with a hammer.

4. Nov 29, 2018 #4

sudsy9977

sudsy9977

sudsy9977

Founding Member

I’ll have to measure it. It’s probably like 3 feet square or so.

5. Nov 29, 2018 #5

HRC_64

HRC_64

HRC_64

If the thing is end grain than keep in mind planing on end-grain is much harder,
    most people use belt sanding and not power-planing tools (google this for more info).

If there are like huge warps (presumably from cutting?) they will take some effort to flatten.

6. Nov 30, 2018 #6

tedg

tedg

tedg

Hobbyist Craftsman

A 25hp (or more) sander with a 40 grit belt doesn't mind if its end grain. It will do in minutes what would take hours, if not days, with other methods.

7. Dec 8, 2018 #7

Andrew

Andrew

Andrew

I'll second that a router and sled is a really effective way to flatten something like that.

8. Jan 3, 2019 #8

MartinT

MartinT

MartinT

Giant is usully for pro/commercial use here