Ginger tea, my all time favorite beverage

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good afternoon, I just wanted to solicit some opinions. I've been drinking ginger tea every day made from fresh ginger, freshly peeled, & finely cut with a very sharp knife. I place the ginger in the bottom of a 4-cup coffee pot(about 1 cup of cut ginger), then add fresh cold water, & brew. I then steep it for about a half hour, stirring every 5-10 minutes, wonderful stuff. I just wanted to ask, if in your opinion, if fresh ginger tea is more beneficial than:
Anthony's Organic Ground Ginger Root, 1lb, Gluten Free, Non GMO, Keto Friendly? Or, would I benefit from consuming tea made from both fresh & quality organic dried ginger? Thank you in advance for any, and all replies.

fresh always better. try adding orange peel, fresh mint, and local honey.
Thank you very much for the reply & recommendations, I appreciate it. I've heard that fresh ginger is better for the most part, but that in the drying process, that certain compound(s) in the ginger get concentrated, which is why i'm wondering if there would be any benefit to adding dried, powdered ginger to the mix. Will definitely be trying fresh cut orange peel(maybe other citrus like lime peel), fresh cut mint, & honey. The fresh ginger tea could definitely use some sweetening, I just hate refined sugars, so honey sounds like pure win.

I presume you're talking about conversion of gingerols to shogaols - that can be done with moist heat as well. I saw a study where they tested it at 100, 110, 120, and 130°C. If you have a pressure cooker, it'd be interesting to try making tea in that. Instant Pots do about 115°C on high pressure mode. Three hours for conversion isn't out of the question.

I presume you're talking about conversion of gingerols to shogaols - that can be done with moist heat as well. I saw a study where they tested it at 100, 110, 120, and 130°C. If you have a pressure cooker, it'd be interesting to try making tea in that. Instant Pots do about 115°C on high pressure mode. Three hours for conversion isn't out of the question.
Thank you very much for your reply, I was totally unaware of the idea of using a pressure cooker. I have been flirting with the idea of getting one for quite a while now.

When we get sick, my family always uses grated fresh ginger, honey, and lemon for our ginger teas.

Good afternoon, I just wanted to solicit some opinions. I've been drinking ginger tea every day made from fresh ginger, freshly peeled, & finely cut with a very sharp knife. I place the ginger in the bottom of a 4-cup coffee pot(about 1 cup of cut ginger), then add fresh cold water, & brew. I then steep it for about a half hour, stirring every 5-10 minutes, wonderful stuff. I just wanted to ask, if in your opinion, if fresh ginger tea is more beneficial than:
Anthony's Organic Ground Ginger Root, 1lb, Gluten Free, Non GMO, Keto Friendly? Or, would I benefit from consuming tea made from both fresh & quality organic dried ginger? Thank you in advance for any, and all replies.

The Amazing and Mighty Ginger -- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK92775/

Once again fresh is not always better. After reading this you can see , like so many other subjects it's not so simple as coming up with some knee jerk poorly thought out answer based on conventional "thinking".

Ginger is good for upset stomach.

Teas, curries, fish, it's use in cooking is endless. Always keep some fresh ginger in refrig.

More healthy ginger ales without refined sugar and corn syrup are available.

We use ginger tea bags though fresh graded with lemon and honey sounds good for when you are under the weather.

India and China have been using ginger forever.:letseat:

Woww awesome info on this thread!!! I drink ginger tea almost every day using fresh (finally found organic near me). Ginger club FTW

I found my fav technique recently:

Brew at room temp overnight; transfer to pot, ginger included; bring to boil; sweeten, flavor, add green tea or other herbs and leaves; enjoy

It reallyyy develops this deep, satisfying ginger flavor. Not spicy, almost sweet by itself, and yet sooo strong.
Side note, it's great not even heated up or altered in any way.

Back