Globals and straight razors are my thing

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanJeffers

Reaction score
Hello All,

Im Dan and i'm new to the forum.

Im a huge fan in all things sharp and my main passion is cooking and shaving.

I currently have a lovely set of Global NI's and ive started my collection of straight razors mainly because my singleblade and double blade collection has grown far to big.

id really like some advice on sharpening my Globals, so far im using the minosharp ceramic pull through system however I do have some King Japanese water stones and a cheap egde pro which I currently dont use.

The global Ni have a convexed edge so im unsure in how to go about sharpening them and if i can use the edge pro, set the angle and use that.

any thoughts would be helpful.

Dan

Hi Dan, welcome to the forums. I recommend you to browse a bit around - you will find a lot of information already posted. Also - check out the sharpening videos of Jon Broida.

id really like some advice on sharpening my Globals, so far im using the minosharp ceramic pull through system however I do have some King Japanese water stones and a cheap egde pro which I currently dont use.

The global Ni have a convexed edge so im unsure in how to go about sharpening them and if i can use the edge pro, set the angle and use that.

any thoughts would be helpful.

Sharpen them on your King stone like any other Global...edge angle is 15 degrees, nothing special about how the Ni knives are sharpened:
https://globalknives.uk/brands/global-ni

Of course you can use the edge pro at 15 degrees if you prefer....

Welcome!

Definitely check out Jon's videos (japaneseknifeimports media). Don't know much about Globals though but my guess is that the trick will be getting complete burr removal. As to convexity many people find that there is a little bit of natural wobble with freehanding that works to your advantage. Murray Carter has a video that shows a somewhat exaggerated form of this that in my mind works very well for certain knives. A bit of practice and you can put your sharpener up for sale because you likely will never use again.

I've gotten lazy with shaving but had a few years of using straights and really enjoyed the process (and clean shave).

Last edited:
If you are worried about sharpening, You can always get them professionally sharpened for cheap twice a year. Buy some beaters to practice on!

Back