Going down the Natural stone rabbit hole

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kostantinos

Reaction score
I want to add some sharpening stones to my progression and i am more and more tempted to dive into the Natural stone world . I have mostly kasumi knifes and damascus blades but i am willing to up my game and understanding of natural stones . With that being said i am looking to hear recommendations on progression of natural stones .
At the moment i am using 300 2k 6k gessin stones and i have some shapton glass at 1k 4k 8k and a muddy king 800 for easy kasumi .

I want to add that i prefer toothy edges on my everyday knifes and polished edges and shinogi on my Japanese knifes if that makes sense.looking to hear your recommendations and feedback .

No need to boil the ocean, you’ve got a good selection for the fundamentals and can supplement nicely with a jnat or two. There’s a lovely Aizu on BST at the moment. And consider a cheaper finisher to get the feel for it.

Not really want to overthink it just to find stones with good feedback for a beginner . Also i do not know where to begin so any reading material on stones or advice is appreciated...

The two Takeshima stones on bst would be a good stone to start with. They are soft, produce a nice amount of mud. Add a harder stone and you are set for producing a beautiful kasumi finish on most blades.

What are your everyday knives and japanese knives? I find that jnats are only effective on knives that are very thin behind the edge and that can hold this thin edge, otherwise synths are much better.

For easy to sharpen carbon steels on double bevel knives, i like to use (for fun) a progression starting with Numata (from JNS) to set the bevel. JNS's Numata can be hard to come by, so you could look for the right omura or use a synth.

Next in the progression could be an Aizu (or Ikarashi then Aizu). This will give you plenty of tooth, but it took me a few months to start liking Aizu as it was too hard for my taste in the beginning. Another option after JNS' Numata would be a nice muddy aoto if you favor softer stones.

If deburring is a problem, i would add this Natsuya after Numata: http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/natsuya/ or the muddy aoto if you hadn't used it already. Both are softer and have better feedback than Ikarashi/Aizu. This Natsuya is not fast and it is much softer than other Natsuyas i have used before. Aotos can be much faster though.

Aizu leaves a toothy edge that is great as a final stone for gyutos, but it is from here on that i find that some of my best results happened. There are a lot of options. My first edge that made me love jnats was with a Tsushima on a Kochi kurouchi gyuto. Tsushima is relatively cheap, not a fast stone and it's not really popular on KKF, but it did the trick for me. Instead of Tsushima, a fast suita is nice, but usually more expensive if you are comparing similarly sized stones.

The point to keep in mind is that you don't really need jnats as the right synths are more efficient and can leave great edges. Jnats are great, though, to make one strive for more delicate edges. They can help you to achieve sharper edges? I think so, but i feel one's ability to sharpen is really what makes the magic happen.

I know very little about polishing, so i'll leave that matter to others.

Last edited:
My results with Ai1000-Aizu-Shinden are absolutely superb, very aggressive edge with very long edge stability. Very old vintage aoto followed my Ohira suita is very good too, toothy but fine edge which stays sharp very long time. So yes, aoto-suita-killer combo.

Generally, if you like refined edges with decent toothiness jumping from a 1k-3k stone straight up to a suita works well. The longer you spend on the suita, or if you're an obsessive stropper, the less toothy and aggressive your edge will become. That said, you can get equally good results with more budget friendly tomae finishers.

Badger what about ikarashi-- aoto-- shirosuita?

With the right aoto, abaolutely.

The string bound tank at the top is a candidate for my favourite stone. I’ve never before or since found another like it.
DSC_9847.jpg

With the right aoto, abaolutely.

The string bound tank at the top is a candidate for my favourite stone. I’ve never before or since found another like it.
View attachment 50480
@Badgertooth Is that aoto? Why do you like it so much? I have a hard one on the way from aframes that ive been eyeing for some time so im hoping its a keeper too.

@Badgertooth Is that aoto? Why do you like it so much? I have a hard one on the way from aframes that ive been eyeing for some time so im hoping its a keeper too.

I like this because it’s hard and fine and clean. I’ll try and find the explanation from my
Contact but apparently it’s as specific as the side of the state road it was mined from. Google translate sort of does the job:

I am indebted to you.

I felt relieved that you liked it.

Naka Finish No. 180 is made of Kouzaki Aoto, but because Okahana Aoto and the vein are connected,

The stone mined on the north side of the village area across Prefectural Road Route 73 is called kouzaki Aoto.

The features of kouzaki Aoto are slightly whiter than Okahana Aoto and the texture is fine and hard.

Okahana Aoto has a blackish taste and contains sesame seeds, and its texture is fine and hard.”

Mine finishes at or near 6k far higher than any other aoto I’ve tried and just laughs at my atoma. I had to use 60gr paper and a sanding block to get it even before tickling it with atoma

Awesome man thanks! Pretty interesting about the differences between the aotos and how they split them up geographically, iv enever even heard of an Okahana aoto before. Also interesting is how hard your aoto is. The one coming is supposed to be harder than normal but not too hard. Its the second one in this video:

The bottom looks like it wiggles a little bit from the vid, so i may have to take it to the sidewalk to even it out. Ill try to report on it once i have time to play with it.

Back