Good Day from Sydney

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InsaneGyuto

Reaction score
I am recently bitten by the knife bug. So figured it would be nice to join this Forum for further knowledge growth.

I just purchased my first Carbon Steel Knife: a Sakai Takayuki Homura 210mm by Itsuo Doi and am already falling in love. Getting used to the additional care and attention but it is well worth it.

I also have a 240mm VG10 Kaisen Gyuto with a western handle (single bevel) and an MCUSTA Zanmai Hammer 165mm Nakiri.

Looking forward to learning and building my collection as my time, knowledge and budget allow. I am looking at investing in some whetstones and training next.

Cheers
Luke

IMG_0086.jpgIMG_0089.jpgIMG_0090.jpg

G'day from SA!

If you haven't been already- Leung Tim Choppers has a shop in Burwood, that is apparently very worth checking out if you have an interest in Chinese knives (and other utensils). A good way to add to the collection at very little cost.

Welcome to the forum. Was recently living And working in Sydney, missing the weather already. Especially now in the colder months.

Thank you all! Very welcoming.

G'day from SA!

If you haven't been already- Leung Tim Choppers has a shop in Burwood, that is apparently very worth checking out if you have an interest in Chinese knives (and other utensils). A good way to add to the collection at very little cost.

Will check it out, never explored Chinese knives but after a cleaver so may be the go-to. Also, require a new wok so I will visit in the coming weeks and see what they have to offer.

G'day and welcome to the forum.

Question about your Mcusta Zanmai Hammer nakiri... How do you find the twisted handle in use? I have held one (and liked the feel) but have never cut with one.

I really like it, this Knife has an amazing finish despite it being stamped. It has by far the best finish I have on my knives and the handle is exceptional. It is comfortable perhaps a little too slippery but not due to the shape, more than finish. Fits in hand well and with a pinch grip is comfortable for veggie chops.

Welcome to the forum. Was recently living And working in Sydney, missing the weather already. Especially now in the colder months.

Where were you working in Sydney? I am a Sydney boy my whole life, and have travelled broadly but still like to come home.

Was living in Alexandria by the Campos for 2 years.

I used to work at The Grounds of Alexandria for a year!!

Did you? Haha that was my default stomping ground whenever we needed to bring guests around. We would get a buzzer to wait for a table, and wander around eating the jam/nutella filled doughnuts and harassing the macaw

@Tristan Actually I worked at the Restaurant side, not the cafe. Service is lunch and dinner while the Cafe venue serves breakfast and lunch.

So figured it would be nice to join this Forum for further knowledge growth.

Welcome @InsaneGyuto... plenty of Aussies in the forum - some of them good company :p

Your avatar is a good looking coffee! ;)

from Canberra here

We don't mind 😬

... actually Canberra is bloody nice...

Back