Media Good knife skills videos?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michi

I dislike attempts to rewrite history
Reaction score
So, I've been browsing the YouTube Knuckleheads thread a fair bit. It's hard work doing all the cringing… ;)

But, instead of watching people doing it wrong, I'd much prefer to watch people doing it right.

Are there any videos that not only show good skills, but also explain what's going on? It's fun to watch someone fillet a salmon so fast it's all over by the time I've blinked the second time, or see someone turn an onion into fine dice in five seconds flat. But those videos don't help me get better myself—all I can do is shake my head in astonishment.

I'd appreciate any and all suggestion for good educational videos of knife skills, for any kind of food! What videos would you recommend?

Michi.

Thanks for that. I've watched all (or almost all) of Jon's videos. They are all excellent, especially the sharpening ones!

I just re-watched the knife skills video. It's good, but only addresses part of story, about body and hand position and about not putting lateral strain on the blade.

Ah, get it now! It's a series of videos. I had assumed that, once I reached the end of the first video, that was it. The first time I watched this, I just assumed I had reached the end a few seconds before the last frame and navigated away. I woke up to what's going on while writing this, when suddenly the second video started playing :)

Watching it all now, thanks! :)

Been watching and watching and watching… :)

That playlist on Jon's site is something else! I really enjoy watching the craftsmanship, even though for many of those videos, it's the same filleting technique over and over, just applied to different species of fish. There is something really relaxing and beautiful about watching a craftsman at work. Whether that is a chef, a wood worker, a blacksmith, a potter. All beautiful to watch!

Found this video while I was browsing. Great knife skills, and interesting commentary:

Thanks for that! That was really great to watch!

Who is this Salty guy? Very funny. And he can cut!

He is THE original knife collector in my book, he’s used everything he has had (and he has had a looooot)

Ok, so is it just me or did Salty completely miss the paper and then pick up two previously cut pieces?

Scratch that request. It's better not knowing. :)

In fact, I think that was a video about faith, not about knives.

Back