Good starter stone set?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deskjockey

Reaction score
Okay, a few general parameters:

• Over $~200 probably won't happen anytime soon
  • Perma-soak or splash-n-go seem to be equally acceptable options
  • Will be used on VG-10, Japanese carbon, SAK (pocket knife), and similar.

Looking at: https://www.japaneseknifeimports.co...s-and-combo-stones/products/gesshin-stone-set

Besides a stone holder, do I really need a 'sink bridge' or nagura stone (for slurry)? I plan on flattening the stones with sandpaper and granite.

Are these good permasoak waterstones? Anything else similar I should consider? Thought about an 800 (1k) and 4K option as well. Doubt I will need to reprofile and polish out chips on my kitchen knives but, I could see some thinning on pocket knives or fixed 'field' blades.

TIA!

Besides a stone holder, do I really need a 'sink bridge' or nagura stone (for slurry)?

A sink bridge is really useful because, with all the stone dust, things get super messy. You can make a simple sink bridge out of a piece of pine wood with stops screwed into the board (use stainless steel screws) to match the size of your sink. Total cost under $5.

Michi.

Gesshin stones are fantastic, I started with the 1k/6k combo. Can't go wrong with that set. If you really wanted to keep it budget you could look at something like king deluxe 300, shapton pro 1k or 2k, arashiyama 6k and get an atoma 140 to keep things flat. I've been appreciating my splash and go stones for impulsive sharpening, as I don't have a lot of room to permasoak. A little shopping around will put that in the ballpark of the Gesshin set above. Also, a damp kitchen towel can keep things in place in lieu of a stone holder if you're minding the current budget.

Shapton glass 500. Shapton pro 2k. Atoma 140. Thats all you need to make your knives sharp, they will work on any steel, splash and go, compact, the pro case doubles as stone holder, and very little maintenance needed.
Maybe a kitayama 6k in the future.

Latest posts

Back