Goodbye sujihikis

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefwp

no electrons were harmed creating this KKF content
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd try to sell my suji here, but there will be no market after the kkf community learns they can now get "the mighty carving knife!"

Say goodbye to those messy sujis and say hello to "the feel and precision of a chainsaw!"
20221129_202034.jpg

20221129_202127.jpg

Eh, what's wrong with that? Mine is slightly different, but same general idea. It has a chain of damascus-clad Blue Super links, forged by Devin Thomas and sharpened by Jon Broida, and none of that sissy safety stuff. It does a decent enough job slicing up roast beef and turkey breast for sandwiches. It even does a nice job on shallots and garlic. Balance point is about 1/2 inch from the handle. Other than the spine being a little sharper than I like, it's totally kick-ass.

The "Texas Chainsaw Massacre"! Are the slices of consistent thickness? Takes two hands. Where does the meat fork come in? It's just for the shock appeal.
Just like the Bubba and Rapala electric fish filet knives, doesn't the sawtooth blade tear up the meat? IMHO over-engineered, . A yanagiba/sujihiki sushi chef would be appalled.
See the attached for one of the original electric knives. Still around. Also, an image of one of the early slicers. Almost went for the Bubba with all the bells and whistles. Going "Egyptian".

Attachments

• IMG_2972_crop.pdf
    727.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2971_crop_96ppi.pdf
    646 KB · Views: 0
Many years ago a friend of mine was part of a contract crew thinning mountain timber land for the U S Forest Service. One fall day they started to hear a bawling calf when the saws weren't running. They eventually traced the sound and found the calf who had apparently been left behind. This was a hike in and camp operation so no vehicles for miles. Faced with the choice of leaving the calf to the coyotes or bear* they elected to eat well for a couple days. They dispatched the calf with a rifle but they weren't really equipped with butchery tools - a few hunting knives but none anywhere near ideally sharp - so there was some use of the tools at hand. I was given to understand that cutting up a freshly killed carcass with a chainsaw is an extremely messy business.

*I believe this was in Wyoming and probably predates significant reintroduction of cougar or wolves.

I'd try to sell my suji here, but there will be no market after the kkf community learns they can now get "the mighty carving knife!"

Say goodbye to those messy sujis and say hello to "the feel and precision of a chainsaw!"
View attachment 211486

View attachment 211489
This is… actually real. Thought it might have been one of those April fools gags. Like that 1 grit stone 🤣.

This is… actually real. Thought it might have been one of those April fools gags. Like that 1 grit stone 🤣.
Yes, I took the pics out of a catalogue from a place that rhymes with "tharper mimage." The whole thing was very entertaining, kind of like those in-flight catalogues, but at the same time, disturbing, because they wouldn't be in business unless gullible people bought their outrageous crap.

• Haha
Reactions: Pie

Latest posts

Back