Gossip: Bernal and Wakui

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul6001

Banned
Reaction score
So Bernal is no longer carrying Wakui. A search of the Bernal site returns not a single mention of Wakui. Am I wrong, or isn’t Bernal one of the original companies to carry Wakui, one of the stores that introduced the brand to this country? And now that Wakui is not only established but one of the hot kids on the block, it’s relationship with one of its oldest dealers is severed. Is there a story or am I just stirring up trouble?

Haha. Probably no drama, I don’t know why there would be.
It’s not uncommon for a vendor to stop carrying a line once a bunch of other vendors also carry it.

It’s not uncommon for a vendor to stop carrying a line once a bunch of other vendors also carry it.
True. CKTG no longer carry The Fujiwara's, Teruyasu or Yoshiaki

In my two month knife career, I’ve decided that Teruyasu is my dream knife. I don’t understand how I’m expected to get by with anything less than 65 Rockwell.

In my two month knife career, I’ve decided that Teruyasu is my dream knife. I don’t understand how I’m expected to get by with anything less than 65 Rockwell.
Halleluja brother TFTFTFTF

It appears Toshihiro Wakui still shows on the brand list, but no products are listed.

What a shame!

Mowgs

I’ve only owned 2. Would easily rebuy a maboroshi and pay extra to ensure the grind is proper.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve only owned 2. Would easily rebuy a maboroshi and pay extra to ensure the grind is proper.

Isn’t it a bit too much? To pay more money to fix something which should have been done in the first place.
A wanted a denka, but given the price at 800$ i don’t want to risk sending it back to japan and waste more money just to get a refund

Isn’t it a bit too much? To pay more money to fix something which should have been done in the first place.
A wanted a denka, but given the price at 800$ i don’t want to risk sending it back to japan and waste more money just to get a refund
Denka is of no interest to me. But getting a maboroshi exactly how I want it is worth it.

True. CKTG no longer carry The Fujiwara's, Teruyasu or Yoshiaki
CKTG not selling either has nothing to do with other retailers selling them. Mark stopped selling TFs because of all the chipping complaints from customers. He can't get Katos is the only reason he doesn't sell those anymore.

It’s weird, I admit it, but I kinda like the fact that TF doesn’t grind some knives, leaves the handles off of others. That’s star power.

Am I wrong, or does the exchange rate with the pound, lower by far than I’ve ever seen it, make for some great buying opportunities.

Am I wrong, or does the exchange rate with the pound, lower by far than I’ve ever seen it, make for some great buying opportunities.
Buy in AUD. The US$ is killing it there. Tansu's have never been cheaper....
Sterling has been worse. Down to ~$1.20 after the referendum. It'll bounce back stronger if parliament has a clear winner post election in 8 days time.

No idea what the latest is, but I got my White 2 240 Wakui from Bernal about 2 months ago. It's the stainless clad version. Love the profile, balance, fit and finish. Arrived on time as other stuff from Bernal etc. So no idea what's going on here.

I love how every thread devolves into a TF thread eventually, and this has to be a record. Only 4 comments in.

Cleancut has some pretty clean looking wakui FTR.

Cleancut also mentioned on their Instagram today that their latest Wakui batch carries the Akifusa brand rather than the regular kanji, for whatever that’s worth.

I was in Bernal the other day.
They told me they will not be reordering Wakui but did not say why.

Back