Got a King NEO for stainless -- To permasoak, or not to permasoak

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as I can remember, this was splash and go. I have no idea how it would behave if permasoaked.
I used for the first time today, basically as a splash & go; it's mighty thirsty to be used this way. Maybe after a quick dip in the soak it works better.

The way I tried was putting water on top until it wouldn't immediately disappear, which took a few good splashes, and once I went, it was still annoyingly thirsty. Although it's definitely not nearly as thirsty as the 1k-ish King Deluxes. After I was done with it I soaked to see if it bubbled and to see how fast it took on water weight -- no bubbles and only 3% extra weight after 20 minutes immersed.

Sort of a middle ground between the King 300 Deluxe and the 1K, thirst-wise.

I did some asking around, since I couldn't remember exactly and the one that I used a long time ago was used before with some mix of water and water soluble oils and it was pretty much splash and go. I think this happened right after Cliff Stamp gave some people the idea of using oils. Some did and ruined some stones, others used a middle ground approach with water mix soluble stuff and worked fine. Unfortunately the fate of the stone is unknown today. Was sold after I gave him a Sigma Select 1000. The Sigma was kept clean.

Just bought this big boy a couple of hours ago—dug it from getting a chance to test it out at MTC. Also, the 20% sale they're having made it a no-brainer to buy.

I9lpj8p.jpg

I'll bite - what is the King NEO? I have not heard of it before. Its a king specialty stone just to be used with Stainless knives?

I'll bite - what is the King NEO? I have not heard of it before. Its a king specialty stone just to be used with Stainless knives?

Works on stainless as well from what I hear. Sushi chef friend of mine likes the feel of his hap40 on it.

From what little use I've made of mine so far, I would describe it as working on stainless like a King Deluxe works on carbon. Pretty much. Still very muddy -- after soaking, that is -- and leaves a quite dark haze, but cuts better and dishes less than the Deluxe, I'd say.

I haven't tried it on any carbon yet, so I cannot say if it's a trade-off.

Back