Got bored so I....

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

rdmalak

Reaction score
Decided to re-handle my super cheap paring knife. The handle was broken for some time and numerous attempts to fix it had failed so I grabbed a scrap piece of wood I had and went at it. I used Amboyna Burl and solid brass rod for the pins. The handle still needs another couple coats of Tung Oil and some finish sanding but you get the idea. There is one little piece missing on one side. It will be filled shortly.

I really like how it turned out and it's a better handle then this blade deserves but I had a great time with this little project. Just a note that other than a drill there were absolutely no power tools used on this project at all. I hope you all enjoy the pics as much as I enjoyed the project.

El Pescador

Engorged Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
Looks great! I wish I was more project minded.

Andy777

Reaction score
Nice work! Now that you know how to do it you can try on a nice knife. :)

rdmalak

Reaction score
Thanks for all the kind words guys. I'll have to try a wa handle next maybe. The only "nice" knives I have are wa handles.

Dream Burls

Reaction score
Okay, so I'll ask - how did you cut and shape the Amboyna without power tools? Nice job by the way.

Mike9

Banned
Reaction score
I have one kicking around with loose scales. I was thinking of doing the same thing - talk about gilding the lily. :lol2:

rdmalak

Reaction score
Yeah it's kind of overkill but I like this knife a lot more now. It has moved to my mag rack of nice knives.

Lefty

Canada's Sharpest Lefty
Founding Member
Reaction score
Nice job!

I have a few projects that are going to be started (hopefully) this week. Yay for fun!

rdmalak

Reaction score
Thanks Tom. I hope one day I can afford a nice knife from your site. Still loving the soap though!

sharkbite111

Banned
Reaction score
That looks awesome!! A little inspiration for those of us without a shop/garage or power tools!!

Chris

rdmalak

Reaction score
It takes a little longer but it's totally possible.