got some cornish game hens!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomchakabowwow

Reaction score
wow..around here i've seen them for $8 each. i rarely buy them.

after the holidays, a local store was blowing out a huge frozen pile of them. $5 each, i grabbed two.

now what? haha..

i am actually thinking of just plain roasting them. i typically do this braise my mom taught me.

i love those things. IIRC, it might be the meal that help me secure my wife!

Brine them in a brine heavy in kumquat (it's the season) split and roast high heat with some diced persimmons tossed in duck fat. Or at least that's what I would do.

debone them whole, stuff them, cook low and slow in the oven then high temp sear them basting in butter and herbs.

i tried and failed before on a chicken. not in my wheelhouse just yet..sounds amazing.

I haven't done it since culinary school, but I remember them saying it's harder the bigger the bird. Just learn the difference between filleting and scraping.

hqiJgGw.jpg

I typically braise Cornish hens in chicken bone broth or even basic stock. I do baste with sage butter to develop a nice tasty skin. Works well to keep the meat tender without turning into jerky especially if the birds are small. The body is stuffed with a sprig of rosemary, lemon, salt, and anything else fresh I have on hand.

Back