Gowanus Cutting Boards

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This Gowanus Furniture Co cutting board looks interesting. It has a plastic fleximat pull-out board to transfer your cut veggies.

Who knows, there might be some drawbacks to this design, but I applaud the idea. I think it would be nice to build in a slot for a bench scraper.

Gowanus Furniture Cutting Board

k.

Every time you rout out a slot, you introduce a weakness to otherwise uniformly solid block. Dave will probably be a better source for it, but on board, I use my hand or a surface of my knife to scoop cut stuff.

M

yeah, on second thought I kind of figured that too. Dumb idea, my bad. And another avenue for moisture to enter and oil to leak about too.

Though I must say that I like the bike holder.

Bike Holder

k.

Some interesting ideas there.

David did make a design at one time with a small pull out cutting tray that mounted under the main board. The pull out "tray" was also wood.

Smalltray_underside_detail.jpg

From what he told me he dropped the design due to lack of interest.

Also, if you have trouble scooping your food from the board to the stove, try using a cleaver!:razz:

Gowanus is a horrible name! Any New Yorker will agree, the Gowanus Canal in Brooklyn is a cesspit, a cousin to Love Canal, and ought to be Super Fund cleaned! No cutting board for you!~

I have the board that Sean showed above in mahagony. As usual with Dave's boards it's a beauty, only problem is when I moved up here to the dry air of Colorado, the board underneath expanded (or the main board shrunk), and caused cracking in the wood. I suppose other peoples experiences may vary.

Wait... I just realised that you also started this thread. How long were you waiting to lay that line on us? ;)

Muhahaa. It was all just an elaborate set up to say "cow anus." Finally, my plan has come together and the world shall live in darkness ;)

Once when I was working for the State Dept a consular officer from a ranching family was telling me about how he had a calf that was born without an a-hole. Without missing a beat I asked, "How did you rectify it." I guess I have a talent.

k.

Hi everyone-

Thanks for mentioning my cutting board back in June.

Just wanted to let you know, I'm making a few revisions to the design - in my own using it, as noted in this thread, the mat was a bit too small to work as effectively as a larger plastic mat, and was too weak to be an effective scraper. The next iteration will have a slot for a standard 6" stainless bench scraper. Design as an iterative process...

I hear you on the slot being another avenue for moisture and weakens it slightly, but if the board is well-oiled and never submerged, it shouldn't be *that* much of a problem, especially for these boards that are 2" thick and for home use, but do hear where you're coming from. I wouldn't put a slot in a thinner board, tho, or in a professional-caliber board.

Fun stuff, these cutting boards. In my little niche, I'm focus on features that work well in small kitchens to make them easier to use, handle and store. In *lovely* Gowanus. ;) More versions and features are on the way - and if any interest in custom boards or features, just give a shout.

Pete

Hi everyone-

Thanks for mentioning my cutting board back in June.

Just wanted to let you know, I'm making a few revisions to the design - in my own using it, as noted in this thread, the mat was a bit too small to work as effectively as a larger plastic mat, and was too weak to be an effective scraper. The next iteration will have a slot for a standard 6" stainless bench scraper. Design as an iterative process...

I hear you on the slot being another avenue for moisture and weakens it slightly, but if the board is well-oiled and never submerged, it shouldn't be *that* much of a problem, especially for these boards that are 2" thick and for home use, but do hear where you're coming from. I wouldn't put a slot in a thinner board, tho, or in a professional-caliber board.

Fun stuff, these cutting boards. In my little niche, I'm focus on features that work well in small kitchens to make them easier to use, handle and store. In *lovely* Gowanus. ;) More versions and features are on the way - and if any interest in custom boards or features, just give a shout.

Pete

Pete

Thanks for showing up and having the "right spirit," We appreciate vendor participation. I wasn't dumping on you or your company/product just dumping in the Gowanus Canal (Taking a dump for 150 years and still going strong)
Can you tell I'm from NY?

Marco is dead right...Any subtraction of material from a board, in one area, will weaken the board dramatically in that area leading to weakness overall. That is whay I take such pains to arrange the blocks in such a way as to minimize the movement as much as I can. The boards I made with the pull-out tray were a good idea but maybe not as sturdy as I had hoped. Plus the interest was highly limited so I dropped the idea.

Plus I specialize in cutting boards. When I venture off into other areas, I dilute my board efforts.

I think I like the idea of a lip on a cutting board. Sure, it would be the weakest part of the board, but I think I would find it useful every now and then.

Back