Great Deals on Honing Sprays

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just curious has anyone found anything better than the pdp in terms or sharpness whiles using same micron? i have heard CBN is supposed to be pretty great. Curious for knives as well as razors. If anyone has experience with a lot of them maybe a chart to compare for all the newbies to this :)

Also placed an order for a few new items. How in the world they can sell at that price and shipping at that cost is beyond me. Picked up the .1 compound, (not that large but it is the strong concentration so I think that it should last a little bit) and also picked up some .03 Colloidal Silica. Last one was more for seeing how fine I could go. Now just have to wait for the new strops. But the price still boggles the mind. Thanks for Sharing Dave.

Just imagine what it cost wholesale.

And they are still making a killing! For companies like DuPont and American Abrasives, they are happy to laugh their way to the bank on these things. These products are so valuable to sharpeners like us, and they've finally gotten enough demand going to create some price-limiting competition. But seriously, a CBN suspension? An OUNCE of it?? Industrial applications lose more changing hoses than we buy to sharpen knives.

It is like the "gluten free icing mix" I saw at the store for $7. It was a 4oz bag of powdered sugar, plus a little psychological coddling.

Make no mistake though, prospective buyers--the results of using a loaded strop(whomever's compound you buy) is night and day to the alternative!

I sure get beat on the stuff I buy and believe me if I can ever find an alternative I will go that route. I make far less selling my compound now (and I buy direct) than I used to selling HA's stuff and that's because I have no mark up room like we used to with HA's diamond compounds. There was plenty of room there with the AdvancedAbrasives stuff for a few people in the chain to make money. For the most part though, these compounds are being marked way up by everyone selling them and that includes what's coming from the manufacturers too.

Now an exception to pricing being inflated would be where someone makes and bottles their own stuff like what HA does with the chromium oxide paste. In this case, the chromium oxide isn't the cost, but the labor and mess associated is a b*tch to deal with and they deserve something for their trouble and this is where the cost comes from. I used to pour the paste bottles for HA myself and I can attest to what a mess this stuff is so I can imagine what Keith goes through mixing it up himself in his house.

I do enjoy stropped edges a lot so I'm in it for the duration regardless. I do wish that we could find something cheap and readily available though.

I do enjoy stropped edges a lot so I'm in it for the duration regardless. I do wish that we could find something cheap and readily available though.

I think as long as we continue, and more jump on the bandwagon, the readily available will come to us, and the cheap will come with competition.

I'm thinking these prices are pretty close to wholesale. And the knife sharpening market isn't really that big. I'm not sure what the largest market is but metallography has to be way up there. I bet I used to use more suspension or even diamond paste in a month than most of you use in a lifetime. That's why I am really really shocked at those prices.

-AJ

You guys that recently ordered please post your thoughts on the material quality. It just feels too good to be true but if it is really that good I'll be tickled pink.

-AJ

I always had the impression from reading posts on here that a lot of people were moving away from using loaded strops.

I recently started to use chromium oxide on balsa. I am quite happy with the results. Instead of hitting a 6k stone for a touch up every couple days, I can strop each day with the CO and hit the stone once a week. It usually is enough to correct a slightly folded over edge. I am hoping that 1 micron will do the trick for worse worn edges. Balsa slabs are much easier for me to take to work than a wet stone set up.

I just ordered 4 from AA and am excited to see what they can do. I will post results soon.

We should try a swap. 8oz is a lot. I would be interested in swapping an oz of this for an oz of that.

Cheers,
rj

Here's a few I'd try if I was going to order....

*Polycrystalline Diamond Spray 0.1mic
CKTG(Ken) - $66 (2oz)
AA - $23 (8oz)
cBN Spray 0.5mic
CKTG(Ken) - $37.95 (2oz)
AA - $9.75 (8oz)
Monocrystalline Diamond Spray 1.0mic
CKTG(HA) - $38.95 (4oz)
AA - $7.75 (8oz)

Just got 8oz of *Polycrystalline Diamond Spray 0.1mic. Transaction very smooth, delivery 5 days USPS Priority.
Is there a preferred strop base for this product? :scratchhead:
eg. leather or felt or other? :dontknow: Apologies if this was already discussed Thanks :)

WOW these prices are really crazy! Ordering some now to use with my strops.

Received my order today. I ordered 1micron PDP Slurry but got suspension instead which is fine but the color is different than all of the other products I've seen. Its black....

vqm6A.jpg

What do you guys think about this? I'll still use it. Hopefully tonight, though it is the wife's bday so maybe tomorrow.

Received my order today. I ordered 1micron PDP Slurry but got suspension instead which is fine but the color is different than all of the other products I've seen. Its black....

vqm6A.jpg

What do you guys think about this? I'll still use it. Hopefully tonight, though it is the wife's bday so maybe tomorrow.
LOL that will last for a loooong while

vqm6A.jpg

Almost ALL polycrystalline slurries & suspensions are black - that is normal. Have fun with it. :)

So, what is the best way to go about putting these on strops since they don't have a spry? Just pour a little on and use a flat piece of cardboard or something to that effect?

So, what is the best way to go about putting these on strops since they don't have a spry? Just pour a little on and use a flat piece of cardboard or something to that effect?

You'll need to get a spray bottle to apply this stuff. You get get really cheap little ones in the travel sized containers in WalMart and places like that.

:EDance2: I just ordered some new sprays. :doublethumbsup: Thanks for the heads up on this deal. Great prices!!:D

I was looking at the other items they offer and seen the film.. It comes is sheets amd disks. and even has sticky backs. I wonder how it would work to strop on? Has anyone tried this yet? I think I am going to buy some 2 pack of the 9 X 11" sheets in a few different grits. Maybe a 3 and a 1 and a .25 microns. ??

What ya think?

Very cool, thanks! And yeah, this is gonna last forever! If anyone wants to start trading this stuff around, I'm down.

You'll need to get a spray bottle to apply this stuff. You get get really cheap little ones in the travel sized containers in WalMart and places like that.

Thanks Dave. I'll let you guys know how it goes when I get my next order in on Wednesday.

Just got 8oz of *Polycrystalline Diamond Spray 0.1mic. Transaction very smooth, delivery 5 days USPS Priority.
Is there a preferred strop base for this product? :scratchhead:
eg. leather or felt or other? :dontknow: Apologies if this was already discussed Thanks :)

Oohh, now I know whom I can try to talk out of an ounce of this stuff :) But I may need some leather or another carrier also.

Stefan

Hmm, I was checking out 0.05mic suspension, but 1 gal... A bit too much :) 0.1mic suspension was a good deal, 0.5l less than 100$! Thanks Dave.

Hmm, I was checking out 0.05mic suspension, but 1 gal... A bit too much :) 0.1mic suspension was a good deal, 0.5l less than 100$! Thanks Dave.

Leco sells 0.05 micron Al2O3 slurry for $23.20/6 oz. Colloidal silica is $42.80 per quart. I'm sure Buehler and Streurs are comparable.

HTH,

-AJ

Leco sells 0.05 micron Al2O3 slurry for $23.20/6 oz. Colloidal silica is $42.80 per quart. I'm sure Buehler and Streurs are comparable.

HTH,

-AJ

I've tried Struer's stuff on knives and it's only OK, never tried Buehler though.

Decided to try out some loaded strops -- I'll need them if I'm ever going to get around to straight razor shaving anyways, so why not...

Back