Great Eats in Greater Melbourne (Post-COVID Era)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Donut edition:

This seems to be a bit of a religious argument amongst Melbournites, with the dirth of pre-covid donut joints, we were spoilt for choice.
These religious camps seem to split along the following lines:
If you like your donuts light and fluffy, like a loaf of Tip Top Wonder White, then you'll love Daniel's donuts. It's been around for ages, starting in Springvale originally, and they've still got a number of places in the city where you can grab the ubiquitous tray of Daniel's. Some people swear by them, travel for kilometers just to get a pack and won't hear of anything else. If this is you, check out this link and stop reading now: Daniel's Donuts Store Locations

Now, if you find the light and fluffy donut mildly unsatisfying, and more reminiscent of a country bakery style of donut, then welcome to the second church of Hipster Melbourne donuts. Let me introduce you to Doughboys Doughnuts:

Doughboys Doughnuts
535 Bourke St, Melbourne
https://doughboysdoughnuts.com.au/contactPhotos: https://www.instagram.com/doughboysdoughnuts/
Now fair warning, I've been a fan of Doughboys doughnuts since they were just a tiny little stall in the upstairs of a dodgy pub near the Queen Vic market (which later became the first incarnation of Fancy Hanks, ohh the memories). Okay, things to like about these bad boys, firstly and most importantly the chew. These are a jaw work out and very satisfying, as it gives you longer to enjoy (masticate) the hipster flavour combinations, which are just great. I usually go for the iced or filled combinations, but fair warning if you go into their Bourke St shop, you'll be presented with choices, all of which seem great, so if you want to try a variety (without getting type 2 diabetes at the end of the sitting), best to take some mates to load share with.

Hot Jammies
No donut list would be complete without an option for a hot jammy. Maybe it's just my nostalgia for scolded fingers on a cold day at district footy, but I've got a weakness for trying the dodgy donut vans in search of a great hot jammy. There are a variety of options floating around Melbourne, and for a few years my hot tip for hot jammies, was the van at the Queen Vic, but I've found their dough a little less consistent over time.
My current hot jammy hot tip (will be revised as soon as better jammies come to hand):
Walkers Doughnuts
Cnr Elizabeth & Flinders St, MELBOURNE
Donut Shops Melbourne | Store Locations | Walker's Doughnuts
Walkers do a variety of options, but the only thing to order is this: "one six pack of hot jammies please, but I only want the ones that are fresh out of the fryer, and double jam them for me please".
Trust in the research here. NEVER buy the ones that are in the "pie warmer". They're burnt and hard on the outside and cold on the inside, if you're doing this, it's worth waiting for a fresh batch out of the fryer (yes, that can be a 15 min wait at times). Double jam, because the jam to dough ratio of the normal "single jam" default offering is too stingey. Best enjoyed as soon as they're in your hand (half life measured in minutes) and consider taking some wet wipes for the jam that will drip down your fingers :)

Last edited:
Croissant edition:

There's only one name in croissants in Melbourne that you will ever need to know, and my god, they are worth the very long queue.

Lune
Shop 9, 161 Collins Street (enter via Russell Street)
Other locations: Lune Croissanterie | Contact
Menu: Lune Croissanterie | Melbourne CBD
Baked on prem, with an attention to detail that is astonishing (go in and have a look at the massive proving fridges), but the end result is spectacular. I honestly think I may never eat a better croissant. Best enjoyed as soon as you get them, standing around either in the shop (if there's space, no seats) or outside huddled on the foot path like a druggie (half life for these ones is measured in hours, meaning hour 0 they'll taste best and after about 4 hours, they're good, but not as great as hour 0). Fair warning, these are flakey, like structurally, I'm unclear how they keep their form without disintegrating considering how many micro layers of air are baked in. The crust is crisp and flakey, the buttery flavour pervades all layers, with the inner still just as light (no inner lump of dough here).
They do a range of hipster variations that are subject to availability, but for mine, it's the old plain croissant where you get to enjoy their magnum opus.
If you're getting a take away box (highly recommended), then I recommend that you take a different bag to put the box in, so that your co-workers and friends (or strangers on the train on the way home) don't start hassling you when they see the signature rocket / croissant logo.

Last edited:
HER
270 Lonsdale St, Melbourne VIC 3000
https://www.her.melbourne/
It’s a funky laneway bar, rooftop bar, and on Friday and Saturdays also a brunch venue.
Went there for brunch this morning, awesome venue. Small menu, but execution was excellent.
Their omelette was silky and the jamon, and onion jam added a delicate sweetness, saltiness and umami. Highly recommended.
Excited to get back there to try the rooftop bar (when it’s not raining…) as these types of venues were the best of pre-covid Melbourne (I’m a little nostalgic).

Atlas Dining
133 Commercial Rd, South Yarra VIC 3141
https://www.atlasdining.com.au/Fine dining option in the heard of South Yarra so expect it to be pricey. It’s a crazy clever concept, the chefs cook up dishes inspired by a single country for a month or two, and then change countries next month (or two, I can’t remember how frequently they change). The only thing you choose is whether you want a lot of food or way too much food from the menu on your table presented in a fake passport of that country. Drinks list is great, but consider taking the waiters recommendation if you’re up for something new and themed.
Always fresh and new, and you don’t need to make (many) decisions, that’s got to get marks.

Back