Great knife for a Great friend

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesse R

Reaction score
Here goes! In short I am looking for an aesthetic sexy knife that will look great on display, put a smile on when it cuts, and does take some maintenance to keep up. Particularly attracted to kurouchi finishes for the aesthetic. Probably a gyuto for functionality, maybe with a k-tip!

Read on and let me know what you think...

——California

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
——chefs
Are you right or left handed?
——right
Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
——Japanese
What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
——210 to 300
Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
—— no, probably not desired
What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

——$250 but preferably less

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
——home
What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
—— veg work, fish slicing, anything without bones. General utility but nothing heavy duty.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?

——he needs an actually sharp chefs knife

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)

——pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)

——-n/a
What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

—— he has no properly sharp tool

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

—— this is pretty important. Damascus would catch his eye. I think a kurouchi finish is really the ticket here. Handle can be simple but should be real wood. The knife can require maintenance, it’s a gift of love and having some work behind it will keep it feeling important and substantial.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

—— lighter and ... all of the above? A knife with great attention to detail would be best, but I know in my price range that could be hard. Honesty none of this matters as much as the 1. Aesthetics and 2. Cutting ability/motion.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

—— could take some regular sharpening (I’m buying him stones with the knife) but it otherwise should be pretty user friendly. Flat spot desired. He has western knife technique. If we go for a gyuto he’ll be using it as a chefs all-arounder. I’ll have it sharpened before he gets it.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

——well honestly longer edge retention would be better. In my reading I’m seeing that on JKI as blue as opposed to white steel. More difficult sharpening would be a good trade off for longer edge retention.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)

—— wood

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)

—— I will buy him stones, he’ll be stoked to learn.

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
^
Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

^

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

This is a gift for an incredible friend who helped me build my house. A real selfless guy...he got injured on the job...bad angle grinder accident... I want to show him my appreciation for his kindness and help. A knife with some pedigree or history would make a real impression, and he’s attracted to an aesthetic design. I know in my price range that could be tough to find, but I am quite eager to hear your thoughts.

Combing the site and talking to Josh at JKI I’ve identified a few knives (all gyutos) I think would fit the bill, also looking for feedback on that—

-Gesshin Uraku 240 in white #2 kurouchi finish
-Kintaro 210 stainless clad blue super w/kurouchi
-Zakuri 240 aogami OR blue super gyutos with kurouchi
-Kochi 210 k-shaped gyuto w/ kurouchi

Thanks everyone! Can’t wait to hear your thoughts.

Hi there-

Of the ones above, I would go with the Kochi. A fabulous cutter and everything from Jon is going to be clean and have great fit and finish for someone.

In that price point, I may also look at Wakui from k&s in Australia. James puts gorgeous handles on knives and has good shipping, so don’t fret that it’s not close to home.

Thanks parbaked and Elliot.

Elliot— the wakui from k&s is super sexy with the hammered finish. Looks like it would be a hit.

I’m also really interested in finding knives, like that, that aren’t yet on my radar. Holding out a little hope that someone might have the right gyuto in their collection already that they’d be willing to part with for a good cause (and a good price).

If you’re looking for something secondhand, you should start a WTB thread in the Buy, Sell, Trade forum. This kind of thread is just for suggestions.

Thanks parbaked and Elliot.

Elliot— the wakui from k&s is super sexy with the hammered finish. Looks like it would be a hit.

I’m also really interested in finding knives, like that, that aren’t yet on my radar. Holding out a little hope that someone might have the right gyuto in their collection already that they’d be willing to part with for a good cause (and a good price).

A lot of the things that James sells have simple handle upgrade options as well, which can add a little “zing” to the aesthetic. The Wakui is, in my opinion, the best bang for the buck knife on the market in that price point.

Perhaps Tanaka Damascus from k&s is another solid option. Think price is in the same rough ballpark.

If you’re looking for something secondhand, you should start a WTB thread in the Buy, Sell, Trade forum. This kind of thread is just for suggestions.

Right on! Not sure yet what I would WTB... so I’m here first looking for suggestions. I’m open to hearing about some unicorns or otherwise unique blades that I could fish around for in the B/S/T instead of buying new online.

You won't be able to find any unicorns or unique blades in your budget, even used. That's more the price for a very good quality blade produced in somewhat high numbers. Plus, there's no point in getting something crazy unique for someone new to knives: he won't be able to tell what's unique and what's not.

The Kochi you mentioned is a crazy good knife, and it looks amazing. The k-tip will make it a little more unusual looking, and its the best done kurouchi I've seen. It will be sufficiently different from anything your friend has used that he'll be bowled over. I'm sure Wakui is great too.

I like tbe kochi, wakui, and tanaka damascus suggestions. I will throw Anryu blue or AS into the mix. They are light and nimble with a cool finish, good food release, and in your budget.

Jesse, nice story. Anything we recommend here is going to be unique and a unicorn to the person you’re giving it to.

I have a kochi and a plain wakui. FWIW, I think my kochi has a wonderful rustic craftsman aesthetic. Very plain and honest but beautifully detailed. They’re both great knives.

Good luck, you can’t go wrong with a gift that comes from the heart.

Kochi from JKI. But please bear in mind that the K-tip is a little special. I would clearly prefer a standard gyuto as I wouldn't liek the K-tip!

Seems like all Kochi gyutos are sold out at JKI, except the 270. I wouldn't recommend this size to a novice though.

Last edited:
Kochi from JKI. But please bear in mind that the K-tip is a little special. I would clearly prefer a standard gyuto as I wouldn't liek the K-tip

That does seem to be the crowd consensus... but personally why would you prefer standard gyuto over the k-tip?

Jesse, nice story. Anything we recommend here is going to be unique and a unicorn to the person you’re giving it to.

I have a kochi and a plain wakui. FWIW, I think my kochi has a wonderful rustic craftsman aesthetic. Very plain and honest but beautifully detailed. They’re both great knives.

Good luck, you can’t go wrong with a gift that comes from the heart.

Thanks so much, rickbern. You’re totally right about it being unique for my buddy. And it’s looking like the kochi will be our winner!

Now to find one....

Does anyone else have thoughts about Anryu blue? Looks like it would also be a great fit. Thanks Jville.

That does seem to be the crowd consensus... but personally why would you prefer standard gyuto over the k-tip?

I haven’t tried the Kochi k-tip, but Jon told me the profile is basically the same as the standard. So, it’s mostly aesthetic. Guess you’d have a little less drag when using the tip, and the balance might be slightly farther back. (My std was balanced pretty far forward, though, so that wouldn’t be a bad thing.) Maybe the tip would be slightly more fragile? This is all just speculation, but I bet the look of it would be the only real difference to your friend. Maybe others know better though.

Back