Great value carbons

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bookmarked this topic. I'll be looking into getting a carbon in a few months. Mostly looking right now for knives to use at work, and I know I can't take care of a carbon at work properly yet. I'm used to the plastic handle knives, and we get them sharpened every week so I got used to abusing knifes. It's been fun trying to break those habits now that I'm using my HHH aeb-l gyuto haha

Looks like the Misono Dragon is getting a lot of love. I've never owned one, but I'm really wanting to snag one. Can some dragon owners tell me what to expect out of that particular knife in 240? It seems to be somewhere between a laser and a workhorse, and I've heard comparisons to Sabs--sound about right? Is it lighter or heavier by heft?

Is this the one you are talking about?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-GI...767?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35d0d31f77

I prefer not spending incredible amounts but if it's something I will be satisfied with I'd rather spend more now and not be a cheapo and regret it.
I wouldn't mind getting a used laser either if it's been taken care of.

Yea that's the one Jon carries them and from what i hear they are pretty great knives idk if you can get a cheaper carbon laser unless someone is selling one on BST.

+1 Misono Swedish...Masahiro Virgin Carbon series is also a terrific value, I know a few cooks who use them in a professional setting and I hear nothing but praises from them.

Yea that's the one Jon carries them and from what i hear they are pretty great knives idk if you can get a cheaper carbon laser unless someone is selling one on BST.

How much better of a knife would I get if I climbed in price?
I have to admit I don't really have a good knowledge of lasers but I feel like one would fit me perfectly, I take care of my knives and I want it to slide trough food as easy as possible.

FWIW, the Ginga on ebay isn't Identifikation with the one Jon carries. True, it comes from the same manufacturer (Ashi) but Jon has it built to his specs.

While I expect Jon's Gesshin Ginga to be immaculate, the standard Ashi Ginga will be a fantastic knife too. It just isn't identical.

If the OP is considering a Misono Swedish: I love mine dearly, but I'm a home cook. Edge retention is not its most prominent quality. As for the price: instead of the 240 you may get a Hiromoto 270.

the tanaka damascus is considered a laser.

210 Misono Swedish from Korin doesn't have a flower on it. I wouldn't consider Tanaka Blue Damascus a Lazer. Have one and like it (minus stock handle) but definitely not as thin/light as Konosuke/Yusuke/Suisin IH even TKC to name a few lazery knives.
just a quick update here. if you order a tanaka damascus from that "other" guy it will be a laser. im guessing tanaka may have made changes in their damascus line over the years, but ive spoken to people who definitely would know for sure about this...

About a Half a year old Tanaka Blue Damascus On Left, Konosuke White #2 On Right

photo.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Sugimoto HM, $130 for a 240, $220AUD for a 270. I haven't used a gyuto from this line, but I have an HM petty and hankotsu; F+F is good, handle's comfortable, easy to sharpen and takes a nice edge, retention is so-so but I expect that from most carbons. They take a nice patina too.

The Hiromoto white 2 is nice for the price too, a little chunky behind the edge but otherwise it's well finished and feels good in hand. Stainless clad though.

Also, it's not my cup of tea, but you can get the Masamoto KS for around $230USD on rakuten.

The Sakai Yusuke's on Blueway(E-Bay)white steel are true Lazors.Knife care is very important,protect your edges.These are high quality specialty blades at a very fair price for what they are.You should aways sharpen these knives yourself,they are super easy to sharpen and do quick touch ups.You go up a little in price you can get a choice carbon lazor.

I bought this for $80 delivered off Rakuten, I thought it was a Misono but I'm honestly not sure what it is. Handle F&F is horrendous, but for $70 us its pretty solid
null_zpsda48689c.jpg
[/IMG]
null_zps60823a29.jpg
[/IMG]

I need to add a little comment on the Misono Dragon which is the most frequently used knife in my kitchen. I have other knives, more expensive ones, more beautiful ones, Shigs, DT ITK, Hattori KDs, Hiromoto AS, but still I reach for the Dragon most of the times. Why? It is a great cutter, a workhorse. It isn't too expensive. I have more respect from my other blades, meaning ruining one of the other blades would probably make me cry like a baby. I do not have that fear with the Dragon...

Have I said that it is the hell of a great cutter? F&F are perfect, and the patina it takes is beautiful! Only disadvantage: only available with a Western handle.

I'll have to try that. So far I have just been doing touch ups. Would be worth the time to take the shoulder off between the primary and secondary edge.

Daddy Yo Yo et al, thanks for the info on the Dragon. I've honestly been wanting one for a long time so I think its just high time I went with my instinct and pulled the trigger on it. Thanks for the info, I'm looking forward to checking it out.

I need to add a little comment on the Misono Dragon which is the most frequently used knife in my kitchen. I have other knives, more expensive ones, more beautiful ones, Shigs, DT ITK, Hattori KDs, Hiromoto AS, but still I reach for the Dragon most of the times. Why? It is a great cutter, a workhorse. It isn't too expensive. I have more respect from my other blades, meaning ruining one of the other blades would probably make me cry like a baby. I do not have that fear with the Dragon...

Have I said that it is the hell of a great cutter? F&F are perfect, and the patina it takes is beautiful! Only disadvantage: only available with a Western handle.
One more thing: BEWARE OF THE DRAGON !!! Always remember that a Dragon is a fierce beast. It might look asleep, you may think it is peacefully asleep, maybe even a friend, but a dragon will always be a fierce creature that bites and spits fire...

I got bitten yesterday... Now I fear the Dragon...

But now it is mine !!! And I will learn to rule that beast !!!

All my Gyutos are carbon :) just love them and for under 200$ I have had or still have a Hiro AS (have), a Tanaka blue (had), a K-Sab (have). All different but I will say I am reaching for a different Gyuto based on what i am having and sometimes (often) i will use two when I am preparing food (home cook).

Hiro As, great one but it isn't tall for some goodies (cabbage for e.g.). I also like it as i dont have to baby it too much if I am cutting 1-2 kg of ognions.
K-Sab, all carbon but not reactive at all !!! I can trust even my guests to use it :D and it is under 100$. However it is a thick blade and a bit heavy.
Tanaka, not to thin not to thick, tall for cabbage as well.

Back