Green compound issue

Discussion in 'Sharpening Station' started by adam92, Jan 26, 2020.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Jan 26, 2020 #1

adam92

adam92

adam92

After i apply those compound to my strop it won't become sharper.

I use strop without compound seems like better, did i do something wrong ?

Attached Files:

2. Jan 26, 2020 #2

bruce8088

bruce8088

bruce8088

the compound must be faulty! try returning it and get another one or it may be the strop or the knife - it may just be easier sending it out for an edge if you keep running into sharpening issues.

lemeneid likes this.
  3. Jan 26, 2020 #3

refcast

refcast

refcast

Supporting Member

The compound looks like its in wax stick form, which is used for rotating buffers, which have a higher temperature that melts the wax . . . which is when green abrasive will actually cut. this works out for buffers, but not room-temp stropping. i found out this way as well. . . a paste or suspension works better

You can add a little alcohol/mineral oil, etc to take some abrasive from the stick to create a paste or suspension and then use that.

otherwise ,yeah it would be like coating the strop with wax, and wax doesn't cut or sharpen. at this relatively cool room temperature, the abrasive particles don't stand proud of the wax surface, so practically no sharpening occurs.

alternatively you can heat it . . . but the wax will just cool again

bahamaroot likes this.
  4. Jan 26, 2020 #4

zizirex

zizirex

zizirex

add some mineral oil to the strop, it will dilute it a bit and make it easier to spread. it is just one of those wax that is not really meant to use for stropping/honing, but you can still use it with a little bit of oil (or heat).

adam92 likes this.
  5. Jan 26, 2020 #5

adam92

adam92

adam92

Can i just heat it up if i want to use it ?

6. Jan 26, 2020 #6

vicv

vicv

vicv

Every time you strop? Sounds tedious. Just rub some mineral oil into the leather. The compound will spread out evenly. As for the dulling you're probably rounding your edge with poor technique. The leather is more aggressive now with compound so it's dulling faster. You should only be doing one or two passes on a strop. More dulls the edge

adam92 likes this.
  7. Jan 26, 2020 #7

vicv

vicv

vicv

Also by looking at the picture you've put about 10x more compound on than needed. Should barely change the colour of the leather

applepieforbreakfast and adam92 like this.
  8. Jan 26, 2020 #8

labor of love

labor of love

labor of love

burrfection made a video on stropping and he goes over how to apply and remove these green compounds pretty throughly. He used a block or bar or whatever just like what you’re using.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  9. Jan 26, 2020 #9

refcast

refcast

refcast

Supporting Member

you can heat it up . . .but it has to stay that temperature during the stropping process . . . which isn't always convenient. . . but yeah, you can see what works for you

10. Jan 26, 2020 #10

kayman67

kayman67

kayman67

I've seen one of his videos and again, wasn't one of his best work to date. Not sure if after all the comms, he did another.

Back on topic, several problems. As already said, this compound might be just too complicated to use. If you can find some Ballistol, that's a great oil for stropping, but you need to remove most of the compound first. And would just be easier to get a better compound.
    If you really want it to sharpen, go diamonds. These are much easier to maintain at maximum performance for months, maybe years. My oldest one still works as intended after 5 years or so. Maintenance required is just some routine Ballistol.
    Another problem is the nature of the strop. It's really hard to use. It will round the edge on its own. With a great deal of compound, it will most probably kill the edge entirely.

How did you get these? I'm very interested in understanding how some things work. There's a great deal of info on compounds and strops that would make this purchase highly unlikely.

11. Jan 26, 2020 #11

labor of love

labor of love

labor of love

Here’s what I’m referring too. This stuff is out of my area of interest.

12. Jan 26, 2020 #12

adam92

adam92

adam92

Maybe i should stay with newspaper..

M1k3 and labor of love like this.
  13. Jan 26, 2020 #13

vicv

vicv

vicv

Stropping is fine. But you can't rely on it to cover up a bad starting edge. That's why only a couple strokes

adam92 and M1k3 like this.
  14. Jan 26, 2020 #14

labor of love

labor of love

labor of love

I keep it simple with some nice felt. Works for me. Feedback feels great too.

15. Jan 26, 2020 #15

Dave Martell

Dave Martell

Dave Martell

Forum Founder Professional Craftsman

I personally don't like using bar compounds on leather strops. They over coat the leather too easily making the leather's surface irrelevant which takes away the purpose of using leather...for the draw it provides. To get the compound to spread lots of people use mineral oil which makes the leather mushy which then leads to rounding of the edge as the leather wraps and dubs over to the opposite side. Plus, most compounds used for buffing do little to nothing for a really hard edge unless a crap load of strokes are done which often finds a user getting sloppy and using poor technique leading to edge rounding. Sure, some white compounds will cut fast enough but most won't as they're for polishing only. A black compound would be far better for a strop as it's for cutting. A green compound, especially one heavily loaded with chromium oxide will round edges easily. For reference - a stropped edge that cuts paper nicely but doesn't pass the 3-finger test is rounded.

As to your specific strop issue Adam, it looks like you've loaded up your leather W_A_Y too much. If you must use this strop then I'd suggest to scrape the excess off and then to clean the surface with water-less hand cleaner (the type without pumice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and wipe dry. You might find that what's left at this point is a pretty good strop to use as is but if not then I'd suggest starting over with a new strop and to not use the buffing bar compound stuff, try diamond compounds/sprays instead as they're a much safer bet to getting a great edge.

adam92 and Nikabrik like this.
  16. Jan 26, 2020 #16

kayman67

kayman67

kayman67

I'm pretty sure if you look at it with some common sense from this topic alone, you understand the guessing game he plays.

17. Jan 26, 2020 #17

labor of love

labor of love

labor of love

No need to be cryptic. If he’s doing something incorrectly then point it out.

Ben.G. and adam92 like this.
  18. Jan 27, 2020 #18

kayman67

kayman67

kayman67

Well, I've said "not one of his best work".
    But Dave did some of my work for me. I could analyse further, but I don't think is that necessary.

labor of love likes this.
  19. Jan 27, 2020 #19

lemeneid

lemeneid

lemeneid

TFTFTFTFTF

Not a fan of stropping. If you want toothy edges, skip the strop and deburr with cork or cardboard.

adam92 likes this.
  20. Jan 27, 2020 #20

adam92

adam92

adam92

I think from now i will stay with news paper...

Draft saved Draft deleted