Greetings from Florida

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome! Long time lurker too. I'm in Fort Myers. What got you into kitchen knives?

I love to cook. So that begat a fascination with ingredients. Which turned into desire to get better at skills, i.e. cutting an onion. Once I could do things well, I wanted better tools. Once I had the tools (wusthof), I needed to learn to sharpen (crappy pull through sharpeners). Then I needed to sharpen better (stones), so I youtubed and searched and lurked. Bought my first stone, learned the full bolster on the wusthof was way less cool than it looked. And when you youtube and search and lurk, you discover that wusthof is well marketed, but a wide world of sharpness is out there, ready to be taken.

What about you?

Very cool! Yeah mine has a little bit to do with cutting skills too. I actually sold Cutco knives fresh out of high school very briefly, so I really did think for the longest time that they made the best knives out there. Never cooked much until I started up my own company and started doing team building dinners every few weeks. This turned into me trying to get better and better at cooking, and then trying to improve my cutting skills as you said. I quickly realized my tools weren't up to snuff, and down the rabbit hole I went. I very nearly bought an entire set of cutco knives (thank god I didn't!!!) but instead ended up with some production shun and miyabi knives. Used them for a few months, and then got into custom knives and different makers and styles. Now I cook more because I enjoy using my knives so much!

More like Cranesville these days... Welcome brother, not too many of us from the good part of Florida :)

Another Floridian, welcome!!!

Back