Greetings from Singapore

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
“Oh? I like to cook too! What got you into cooking?”

“Knives. I like to play with knives.”

“Um.”

“I like to sharpen them.”

“Ok…”

“I have a hairless patch, freshly shaved, let me just move some clothing around so you can see —”

“I have to go now, nice meeting you!”

Inventory: Couple of basic carbon gyutos and usubas, some Giessers in SS, a Deejo 37 for EDC, I think it’s 420.

SG 220 500 1000 2000 16000 (it came with the set)
King 1000 / 6000
Chosera 400
Atoma 140
Nano Hone NH-8 arriving soon, I hope.

Latigo and leather strops from Burrfection.

Loupes at 10x, 20x, 30x, 60x

Currently trying to get more comfortable with the three-finger test.

I have this fantasy that I’ll get my apartment building’s super into sharpening and together we’ll start a $20/overnight service for the restaurants in the neighbourhood.

Welcome! I just returned from my first trip to Singapore this past weekend. I thought your country was one of the most authentically homey and comfortable places that I've had the chance to visit outside of the U.S. I hope to have the chance to visit again. I wish I would have seen your post a few days ago to hit you up for some food recs.

Glad you're here! :)

"That's a lot of mortadella, honey, are you sure you don't want to ask the nice man to let you watch him use the deli slicer?"

"No, no, I have a usuba, we don't need a deli slicer."

"You have a what?"

"I'm going to katsuramuki the mortadella, this is totally going to work."

Last edited:
Singaporean residing in NYC, I m missing home!

Welcome ! Ktchin Tools is my fav knife store to walk into in Singapore :)

Inventory: Couple of basic carbon gyutos and usubas, some Giessers in SS, a Deejo 37 for EDC, I think it’s 420.

Welcome.

Which usubas? Do you find them useful in SG cooking?

Which usubas? Do you find them useful in SG cooking?

Yukifuji Chu-kasumi Gyokuhaku-ko (White Steel) Japanese Chef's Usuba(Vegetable) 165mm

Masahiro Stainless Japanese-style Chef's Usuba(Vegetable) 165mm

from Hocho Knife | Japanese Chef Knives

TBH I haven’t used them much at all, life has been topsy-turvy since I got them, so very little opportunity to cook the sort of thing that would benefit from those knives. Lately the only thing I’ve done is onions, garlic, and mushrooms.

Welcome! You have a nice local shop Razorsharp where I bought an ashi petty once. Bet you could accidentally lose track of quite a few dollars there 🤣
Yeah, I love that place, they’ve got a very tasteful selection and the staff all really know their stuff. That said the last thing I bought there was an oyster knife for shucking lol

Yukifuji Chu-kasumi Gyokuhaku-ko (White Steel) Japanese Chef's Usuba(Vegetable) 165mm

Recto, verso
ADAB6E39-A1AF-4CB9-A7AB-AE8E0A7108A1.jpeg4C4E737A-224B-4ECB-B593-A353E811CFE2.jpeg

Logging some activity – relatively new “Yaxell YO-U 69 VG10 Damascus Santoku Knife 165mm” displayed micro-chipping after just one head of garlic; apparently this is expected and also a technique issue.

Solution: show it who’s boss.

Chips mean different things in different steels. My wife's VG10 gyuto and my Watanabe blue gyuto seem to micro-chip similarly at first. But the VG10 micro-chip are very stable and don't affect performance except on a paper towel test.

Say you have a fat clove of garlic and you’re cutting the root end. The point where you’re cutting is sitting at a 45 degree angle. If you’re pushing straight down with your knife, you think all the force is being applied vertically as usual.

Attachments

• DBBEF76A-CC28-4EAF-96EF-117229BC2A66.jpeg
    DBBEF76A-CC28-4EAF-96EF-117229BC2A66.jpeg
    71 KB · Views: 0
  • 78B1ABCD-9C4B-4384-B7E1-92783D78FB8E.jpeg
    78B1ABCD-9C4B-4384-B7E1-92783D78FB8E.jpeg
    72 KB · Views: 0
  • AE68F04E-C0CE-4EBC-AFC0-69835C326449.jpeg
    AE68F04E-C0CE-4EBC-AFC0-69835C326449.jpeg
    82.9 KB · Views: 0
  • FC683522-CE52-4FB1-A8E7-E47C8932BFA4.jpeg
    FC683522-CE52-4FB1-A8E7-E47C8932BFA4.jpeg
    47.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 46BBCFD0-FBA4-4893-BEB0-7807B6EEFC70.jpeg
    46BBCFD0-FBA4-4893-BEB0-7807B6EEFC70.jpeg
    77.9 KB · Views: 0
Whoa! That edge peel isn't microchipping.

That’s SG220 deburring in homage to the Kippington vid.

Photos slightly out of sequence, the microchipping was the usual divots and serrations.

Corrected to 15dps plus micro bevel but I kept rolling the edge at the end and I’m still not happy with it, it bounces off cherry tomatoes and the shave sharpness comes and goes.

I gave up and polished a usuba instead, that was much more satisfying.

That’s SG220 deburring in homage to the Kippington vid.

Photos slightly out of sequence, the microchipping was the usual divots and serrations.

Corrected to 15dps plus micro bevel but I kept rolling the edge at the end and I’m still not happy with it, it bounces off cherry tomatoes and the shave sharpness comes and goes.

I gave up and polished a usuba instead, that was much more satisfying.

That's a monster burr. I'd do as @stringer suggests.

Yeah I think you went too long on one side before flipping over to cause that monster burr.

A more conservative approach will save you steel and delay thinning a lot longer.

The goal was to expose some fresh steel, move up the edge about half an mm from the factory grind to see if that would help with the chipping… I’ll go through more garlic once the farting stops!

Back