Greetings from Vancouver Island!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm new to the kitchen knife world, but not to knives or sharpening in general. I'm a former Search and Rescue volunteer, a bushcrafter, woodworker etc, and as such I have a decent amount of experience with carving knives, outdoor knives, etc.

I've been sharpening on Japanese water stones for about 10 years, mostly working with Scandi ground bushcraft knives, convex outdoor knives, chisels, Finnish puukkos, etc. More recently however, I'm beginning to find that I really enjoy being in the kitchen, and I can see myself easily falling into the kitchen knife rabbit hole (I think I'm already here...).

My primary knife is currently a rather old Henckels 8" single man chef knife which I've been doing my best to modify for peak performance (within the limitations of the steel), experimenting with different edges etc.

I've been rather tempted as of late to invest in a nice gyuto and cutting board, and during my research, I found this gem of a forum. I'm currently looking at a Masakage Yuki 240mm as a general purpose kitchen knife, though I'm absolutely open to any other suggestions.

Seen as I'm (kitchen) knife poor and stone heavy, I may as well list some stones! After using the Sun Tiger and King stones for the better part of the last 7 years, I recently decided to upgrade my stones and went for an Atoma 400, two Shapton Glass stones (1k and 4K), and a Morihei Hishiboshi 6k. The difference in speed and feedback on the SG stones is incredible, and I can't wait to try the Morihei.

Barring my strops, some other random diamonds and ceramics, my stone collection currently looks like:

Sun Tiger 200 green brick
Atoma 400
King KDS 1k
King KDS 6k
Shapton Glass HR 1k
Shapton Glass HR 4k
Morihei Hishiboshi 6k (currently inbound)

I'm looking forward to spending some time browsing the forum, participating, and learning as much as I can!

Last edited:
Welcome eh/Bienvenue han.

Do you have any favorite Canadian knives?

Thanks everyone!

Welcome ... where do you live on VI?

I'm currently up in PA.

Welcome eh/Bienvenue han.

Do you have any favorite Canadian knives?

I do. My current favorite Canadian knife is my Andaltool Canadian Forest knife, though I have to admit, short of a couple of Grohmann's, my Canadian knife selection is a tad lacking.

Edited to add a pic of the aforementioned Andaltool next to a cougar track that I took a few months ago:)

4mXxnyEh.jpg

Love Port Alberni ... I often recommend this knife to people who ask.

https://www.**************.com/kaankusugy24.html

Its currently out of stock at CKTG, but they have a 270mm version in stock if you’re into longer knives. I have a couple of them if you’re ever in Victoria and would like to have a look.

Back