Grill, charcoal vs gas, whats your favorite?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gas and charcoal are both my favorite but for different purposes. Depending on what is being grilled, I think a good gas grill is better for most people's needs most of the time. There is little flavor advantage to charcoal because it doesn't impart any flavor of its own; it's just carbon. (Wood fired cooking is a different story, of course.) The main advantage it has is being able to reach higher temperatures while emitting much less water (which is a byproduct of the combustion that occurs in a gas grill). This hotter, dryer heat can deliver a better high-intensity sear on foods than (most) gas grills can. And with a better sear comes better flavor. This flavor doesn't come from charcoal per se; it comes from the the high amounts of radiant heat. A suitably hot infrared element can deliver almost identical results.

Of course, high intensity heat isn't the way that you want to cook all or even most foods. For moderate heat grilling -- which is most of what you want to do with a grill -- gas works just as well as charcoal without the setup and cleaning hassles. And if you're cooking for a crowd, the convenience of a larger propane grill can't be denied. So for me, it's charcoal for searing (and yakitori) and gas for everything else. And for flavor, top marks go to wood coals (or a mix of wood and charcoal).

Last edited:
I am an unabashed partisan of the charcoal grill, specifically my Big Green Egg. There is nothing like charcoal flavor, and the heat you can get in an enclosed ceramic grill is astonishing.

However...it turns out that summer in the desert here means fire restrictions, which include no outdoor burning of anything, even charcoal in a closed grill. I am vexed. I'm willing to buy a gas grill, but I've never run into one that puts out the kind of heat I have come to rely on in my BGE. Any suggestions? Is there anything that will give me 700 degrees over the entire surface of my steak?

Infrared grills can get up over 700 degrees. I only use my grill for searing steaks after sous-vide, so infrared is perfect for me. About 45s per side for straight grill marks, flip and rotate for another 45s per side for a classic cross-hatch pattern. It’s actually possible to burn steaks on my infrared if you let them sit for 3 minutes without flipping. And the infrared element gets hot in about 30s, searing hot in a couple minutes.

I do prefer the flavor of charcoal grills but got tired of dealing with the hassle years ago.

I really enjoy the process of charcoal grilling. Been messing with binchotan charcoal with the konro. But propane is convienient too. I use a propane wok burner to get the binchotan lighted.

OK, I think I've got the solution to my problem, which I would describe as follows:

I need very serious surface heat PLUS bathing in seriously hot air so I can make thick steaks come out the way I want (very pink inside, heat-abused outside)
My locality forbids charcoal/wood in the summer, for seemingly-valid fire danger reasons, so my beloved Big Green Egg is benched
My oven broiler is an electric element and almost completely useless.

One of the great super-hot gas grills recommended by people on this thread would likely have worked, but what I got was a thing called a Cajun Broiler. Actually, I have had it for months, but could not figure out how to put the darned thing together. Turned out that I was missing some bolts and nuts (I think it was a returned item, to judge by the rust already present when I opened the box), and that the propane inlet was exactly what it was supposed to be, not, as I thought, "oh that can't be all the parts, if I light that I had better write my epitaph first."

So I just got it lit for the first time, and I think it will solve my steak problem and my wimpy broiler problem, to say the least. Also apparently you can make pizza in it, broiling the toppings then setting the crust on the hot top surface to crisp up.

Looks as though it's going to be an outdoor cooking summer after all.
Broiler Fire.JPG

I recently learned that “solid fuel burning appliances” are regulated under fire prevention bylaws in my jurisdiction. Since it’s been so dry recently, open pit fires, charcoal cookers, etc. aren’t supposed to be used (ie prohibited). I’m glad I have a Napoleon propane grill/bbq since the konro is a no-no for the time being

Interesting. I live in the desert and I dont think we have those restrictions for residential use. For sure camping and state/national parks and stuff tho.

A nice gas grill is convenient and predictable temperature. It also eliminates the desire to get a kitchen range with a rotisserie and indoor grill. I can’t say I use a rotisserie often but everything comes out delicious.

Charcoal all day. To me, and I mean no disrespect, if you're going to use gas, just cook inside. Now, I could easily see benefit in having a propane burner to accompany the charcoal grill.

Get yourself some decent carbon and/or cast iron pans and you can do a lot on charcoal. And they really aren't that big of a hassle. Depending on what I'm doing, I can have mine ready in 20-30min's. That's really not a big and is just total time, not my active time. Put however many briquettes in the chimney, fire it up and setup the grill (cleaned out, fill with however many briquettes, etc. - couple min's). 10-15min's later pour lit briquettes into the grill and let cooking grate heat for another 10min's. Time to cook. As long as you prep appropriately and use your time right, it is no big deal.

Honestly, if you're going to cook in a pan, just cook inside. Other than keeping the house cooler, what's the point of a pan on the grill? Just seems odd that you'd recommend cooking indoors rather than grill over gas, but you'd cook in a pan over charcoal.

Last edited:
Honestly, if you're going to cook in a pan, just cook inside. Other than keeping the house cooler, what's the point of a pan on the grill? Just seems odd that you'd recommend cooking indoors rather than grill over gas, but you'd cook in a pan over charcoal.

Fair enough and it's honestly something I rarely do. But I do know a lot of folks who like to use a pan for veggies, beans, whatever while they're preparing the main course.

Last edited:
That, if you’re already grilling something, and also depending on what kind of stove you have inside and what kind of grill you have outside vis-a-vis its ability to heat a pan, that could be your best bet for some things. I like to deep fry outside on a side burner if that’s an available option instead of doing it in the house because of the mess and the smell.

Honestly, if you're going to cook in a pan, just cook inside. Other than keeping the house cooler, what's the point of a pan on the grill? Just seems odd that you'd recommend cooking indoors rather than grill oven gas, but you'd cook in a pan over charcoal.

Sometimes I throw my cast iron skillet or plancha right over the charcoal and cook things.

I also cook things with gas outside in pans. I have an outdoor wok burner which has a much higher output than the range inside, great for searing or deep frying without the mess and smoke alarms going off.

I used gas for many years, got a charcoal grill this summer, like the flavor of the charcoal but can see the benefit of a gas grill. What's your favorite?

I've never had the opportunity of using gas—but have always dug charcoal. Love the smoky taste, the ritual of building a fire. Only grill when visiting family since I live in a NYC apartment.

I've never had the opportunity of using gas—but have always dug charcoal. Love the smoky taste, the ritual of building a fire. Only grill when visiting family since I live in a NYC apartment.

This raises a question I have wondered about, especially when I have had to give up charcoal for the summer, due to local fire rules:

Is there any way to use charcoal indoors? I mean, I have been at Japanese restaurants where they grilled wagyu over binchotan (sp?). No one died of carbon monoxide. Any way to make this happen at home? Little grill? Hard Japanese charcoal or the equivalent?

If it's not an impossible dream, I'd love some tips.

It's all fun and games until your bincho starts sparking and melts a hole in your flooring.

This raises a question I have wondered about, especially when I have had to give up charcoal for the summer, due to local fire rules:

Is there any way to use charcoal indoors? I mean, I have been at Japanese restaurants where they grilled wagyu over binchotan (sp?). No one died of carbon monoxide. Any way to make this happen at home? Little grill? Hard Japanese charcoal or the equivalent?

I've wondered about indoor grills too. Here's a Korean tabletop bbq grill. [I've no experience with these.]
https://www.amazon.com/Primst-Multi...s=Indoor+Charcoal+Grill&qid=1628736413&sr=8-3

You would need one heck of a range hood to use an indoor grill and charcoal sounds like a really bad idea indoors.

Some ranges come with optional weak grills, whats the point? Use a broiler or a serious outdoor grill that can actually sear.

You would need one heck of a range hood to use an indoor grill and charcoal sounds like a really bad idea indoors.

Some ranges come with optional weak grills, whats the point? Use a broiler or a serious outdoor grill that can actually sear.

The point, for me at least, is my addiction to the flavor that charcoal provides. I agree that for serious heat, I'd pick one of the options you mention. That doesn't solve the addiction problem, though. Visions of little skewers sizzling on a small charcoal grill are but one of the withdrawal symptoms.

Sometimes I throw my cast iron skillet or plancha right over the charcoal and cook things.

I also cook things with gas outside in pans. I have an outdoor wok burner which has a much higher output than the range inside, great for searing or deep frying without the mess and smoke alarms going off.

I have a wok burner, too, and it's really great for deep frying stuff, simmer a huge stock pot of stock outside, and of course, for cooking with my big-a$$ wok. No comparison with an indoor gas stove in BTU department. The wok burner is like an inverted jet engine. I love it.

Got a big green egg about a year ago. Since then my gas grill has been used twice, pretty much only when I'm in a rush.

Has anybody converted their gas grill to use lava rocks? I am working on my gas grill and thinking about it. I need to add a second lower rack to hold the lava rock instead of those little metal shields. The lava rock retains heat better from what I am reading.

I am sure charcoal will still be better if you have the time.

The gas grill is much more convenient if only grilling off a couple of things otherwise I prefer charcoal over gas a significantly better-charred flavor using charcoal over gas.

Has anybody converted their gas grill to use lava rocks? I am working on my gas grill and thinking about it. I need to add a second lower rack to hold the lava rock instead of those little metal shields. The lava rock retains heat better from what I am reading.

i had them in a weber genesis gas grill and took them out.

heat retention can mean different things (or be a consequence of different things), so i won't say that i see no point to it. i see a point to an insulated cooker or firebox. i don't see the point to increasing the thermal mass which is basically what lava rocks do.

the main benefit i see to them is increasing evenness of temp distribution across the cooking surface.

however, having the grill be responsive to changes in burner output is useful to me, so i removed them.

they're also porous and get kinda nasty with juicy drippings or other sources of moisture. depending on your environment, this promotes corrosion of what they're in contact with. i experienced this. for this reason, i suggest some other kind of ceramic material if you really want to go that route.

Last edited:

Ceramic briquettes/tiles won't hold onto grease.

Ive only seen it in person once, and it was at a very expensive restaurant and the hood was SERIOUS business. not the sort of thing I think you would want to pony up for to have installed in your house.

I dunno personally when it's not grill season I just lie to myself and say "oh this will just make it all the better when I can actually grill"

Back