Grind issue? Say it ain't so!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
90% of the time when i see stuff like that, its user error in sharpening... no big deal to fix

That's a lot of light for a light sharpening... Something doesn't seem right to me. I mean, it's super easy to neglect the heel sometimes, especially if you use full sweeps. But that would mean you moved a TON of metal. Might simply be that the heel was left a bit low, as well. I've seen that on a number of lower-end knives, not so much once you start moving up the quality ladder, though. But I doubt a light sharpening session would be enough to break that far into an overgrind... I guess I'm not too certain what might be going on here without some additional shots or info.

90% of the time when i see stuff like that, its user error in sharpening... no big deal to fix

I'd rather it be a mistake on my part. What would cause this? Or are there multiple causes?

Does it still cut ok or does it accordian there? I do this sometimes when I'm using a ceramic hone a lot and am lazy by not starting at the very heel of the knife

Does it still cut ok or does it accordian there? I do this sometimes when I'm using a ceramic hone a lot and am lazy by not starting at the very heel of the knife

It did it a couple times, that's when I went in for a closer look.
So "heel neglect" can cause this? I coulda sworn I was sharpening evenly.

So "heel neglect" can cause this? I coulda sworn I was sharpening evenly.

I think Jon could answer than better than I. In my experience I notice if you use a ceramic rod on a carbon knife in particular you have to be a little more careful to start off at the very end. It is no big deal and takes about 5 mins to fix, it just comes from being lazy

Ummmm.....I'm not feeling so good about that myself.

Take a straight edge to the sides of the knife right above the edge (over the holes) and see if any light shines through. Also, look down the edge (edge up) on both sides and look for waves.

So, it ain't so after all. It was an error on my part and not paying close enough attention to the heel.
I feel silly about it but I feel I learned an important lesson in knife sharpening today. Thanks to all who replied to this post, it was most helpful. Here is a pic of the knife fresh off the stones, a bit blurry but you can see its flat at the heel now. My bad lol.

http://m.flickr.com/photos/65302964@N06/5962256913/lightbox/

Good job! I had some coworkers that have knives that look so wavy they are almost a joke, but it's because of really uneven pressure on the stones, they are unwittingly overgrinding.

Glad to hear it worked out!

This is what's left of my very first gyuto (240mm FKH)... talk about hitting all the bases when it comes to fracking up a grind!

3carbongyutos2013.jpg

This thread has been really helpful. I need to go check out my knives to see if perhaps I have done the same thing. Again, thanks!

Oh man. I think I sold on of my first gyutos where I was learning all about sharpening to Ryan. It was a Kanemasa e-series. He could tell you all about how screwed up that thing was! Today I'd be ashamed to show it to anyone let alone sell it, but as a beginner I just didn't know yet!

Ryan doesn't care anyway, he just sends stuff like that to me to make my life hell, I actually think he enjoys it too. :D

I must say, he was incredibly gracious about it, even offering, since we were both in South Jersey to take some time and show me a few pointers. Class Act, that guy. You know ... sometimes :wink:

Back