grinding horizontal or vertical?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inferno

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) <*))))><
Reaction score
so i just wanted to know how you guys grind.

I have a small floor sander grinder at home that i use in the horizontal orientation with upper side of belt going away from me, and i find this quite good. its almost like grinding on stones. and i have lots of experience on stones so i guess my brain is already wired up for it.

i can also mount mine vertical. but i have never tried it to be honest. but i think this will also be good.

-------------

if i was getting a kmg or similar i would definitely run it vertical with the plate attachment. but i guess horizontal would work here too.

then we have the wheel. grinding on a contact wheel. i guess this quite nice too. if you learn it.

whats your preferred grinding orientation and why?

It depends. The important point is to feel comfortable and in control of the blade angle and applying pressure. I usually do distal taper on a horizontal platen, I feel I can control the pressure better in this orientation. For bevel grinding, especially near the tip, I use a vertical platen. When I make mistakes, cut a groove, I usually fix it on the vertical platen, but then need to even out the wave on the horizontal platen. I have multiple grinders, including a KMG.

I have a 10 inch contact wheel that I use for blade profiling, faster than a flat platen. The wheel can also be used for hollow grind bevels, which are currently out of favor. Belt grinders generate heat, have a bucket of water ready for cooling hot steel.

yeah i also feel control is the most important thing when grinding after HT. i dont feel i have full control with really high revving stuff. those are for pregrind imo.
the setup i'm running now is maybe 20cm lower than my eyes so i can see all thats going on. its not at "hip height" that is normal height for grinders. i feel this is a big advantage to keep control.

regarding heat: i was just out grinding today just outside my front door with the floor sander. put a 40 and a 60 grit belt on there.
and i could grind for a quite good bit of time before i needed to cool the blade. i grind with thin medical rubber gloves.
i could go maybe 2 minutes with medium pressure. but if i really pushed it i could take the blade to very very hot in like 5 seconds. but then the machine revs down to 50% or so.
my machine max out at 250m/minute i think. and real industrial grinders are at 34m/s or 2000m/minute.

i have one of those 2000m/minute grinders at work and its almost completely unusable because of the belt speed. it overheats everything in about 3-4 seconds no matter what. it melts steel.

Most full time knifemakers have a variable speed controller and 3 phase motors on their grinders. You can slow things down and have less worry about burning the edge. I grind until I feel the heat burn my fingers, then dunk. I also don't go past 220 or A65 on a high speed grinder after heat treat; finer grits increase the heat generated. I use "draw filing" by hand with the blade clamped and sandpaper wrapped around a bar; sort of inverted water stone grinding. Water stones for the edge.

I prefer vertical with the edge up so I can more easily judge the contact point by eye. Also less likely to take the edge too thin when I can see it. Everybody is different though.

Back