growing herbs in your kitchen?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomchakabowwow

Reaction score
i belong to a local CSA (community supported agriculture). i essentailly pay a membership and i get a mystery box of farm fresh veggies weekly. there as been a lot of cut basil lately. i used some, trim the rest and stick them in water until roots form. then i plant them. they are taking off!

i see "three cup chicken" in my future, and pesto. hahaha.

you have a kitchen garden?

Attachments

• basil.jpg
    basil.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 12
I have been doing the same thing with basil. It was more about me being tired of not having basil available at the stores. So when I got sweet basil from store I rooted out and planted 4 plants. Then I finally, finally got thai basil. Did the same thing. Then got spicy basil from the CSA and did the same thing.

I don't have alot of room in my kitchen area, but I do have cuttings in water on a window ledge. When they get some roots, I plant them outside. Fresh picked herbs have better flavor.

Ours is right outside the kitchen. From early summer to mid-fall there is always a ton of sweet basil, and usually a bit of Thai basil and pineapple basil. We make a lot of pesto. Probably average spaghetti with pesto once a week in July - Sept. And we usually vac/ freeze at least a dozen batches of pesto for over the winter (close to 20 batches last year). We also get way more oregano, sage and mint than we can use. We dry oregano and mint, but usually just leave the sage. We get dill too, since my wife is a fan. One plant was about 6 feet tall last week, so she finally pulled it. Apparently there hasn't been a recipe created since the beginning of time that does not benefit from the addition of dill (at least in my wife's mind).

"herbs" err ... yeah/right/sure/whatever - to all of you ... a little side business instead maybe? Holistic/medicinal uses of course - make some nice "mats" & "baskets" as well ... PM me for details ... not ... ;)

I do the outside thing (SoCal of course) since I've never had any luck with inside ones since they typically get over watered and/or slowly tortured with not enough direct sun/soil content ... outside though - thyme (english, french and lemon), rosemary (a couple varietals), bay laurel and in pots (basil, oregano, mint) but I really need to do cilantro (just too easy to find locally but I forget it)

Boom - IMO / plant a laurel bush / really tolerant and dry bay (from the store) is crap & stupid expensive ... of course you could PM me / I'll vac seal em up and send you 100 or so ... up to you but I love access to fresh bay leaves. FWIW I grew Laurus nobilis (Mediterranean bay) NOT California Bay which I find it too strong (if you want the nobilis flavor more pronounced dry them out but I prefer using more of the fresh if I need it).

Boom - IMO / plant a laurel bush / really tolerant and dry bay (from the store) is crap & stupid expensive ... of course you could PM me / I'll vac seal em up and send you 100 or so ... up to you but I love access to fresh bay leaves. FWIW I grew Laurus nobilis (Mediterranean bay) NOT California Bay which I find it too strong (if you want the nobilis flavor more pronounced dry them out but I prefer using more of the fresh if I need it).

goggling it now! laurel bush. check!

California Bay is way to strong. it smells almost like eucalyptus. (to me)

You just need to find yourself a hippy/yogi who is willing to take the sage off you to make "smudgers."
Hmmm, my wife is a yogi, but definitely not a hippie. I have not heard her mention this.

Forgot we planted a 'hedge row' of laurel a few years ago, but most of those plants died. The rosemary has largely survived the winters; one plant is close to 6 feet tall now.

Hi, we have this wonderful device, which is keeping 3 different herbs properly watered.
As a result, there is always these 3:basil, rosemary and thyme.
The latter is my favourite.

Attachments

• IMG_20200701_233507.jpg
    IMG_20200701_233507.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 16
And a few weeks ago, we acquired a Vegepod because the possums kept eating my herbs. Currently in there are dill, coriander, endive, sorrel, chervil, marjoram, thyme, basil, Italian parsley, Vietnamese mint, oregano, and leeks.
IMG_3755.JPG

IMG_3756.JPG

Wow!! High tech gardens!

Interesting. Can the herbs keep up with consumption or does it supplement what you buy?

Also curious...
Maybe it’s because I’m used to working in kitchens where herbs are plentiful but I feel like I could crush every herb pictured thus far with one good salsa verde.

Secretly I’m jealous because I have a black thumb.

Haha, mine could use such a treatment too 😂😂.
I cut them regularly and dry or freeze them depending on what it is. Also I made six kilos of herbal salt last year and some herbal vinegar or oil to give away.
I noticed the rosemary in there and that stuff grows wild. I need to take a trimmer to my oregano soon. I do zip lock bags of herbs but in Northern California Basil is the only herb I can't grow year round.

That’s only the small Rosemary, this one is even bigger and just two years old.
91C07DFC-7F9C-4E84-A35B-199F4F34ADD7.jpeg

Here in Austria it’s a bit more tricky because of the winter. Being in Vienna helps a lot, actually my marjoram is now nearing an age of five and that’s usually a one year’s plant here.

Yes I know about the weather in Austria my relatives live in Gussing and they grow a lot of veggies and herbs there. My rosemary in the ground is trimmed a few times a year and you can see from the picture that it is due now.

Attachments

• IMG_2401.JPG
    IMG_2401.JPG
    169.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8539.JPG
    IMG_8539.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6506.JPG
    IMG_6506.JPG
    152.7 KB · Views: 6

Latest posts

Back