Guess that choil!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_0881.JPG

JCK Deep Impact or Harukaze As for the top? The other 2 remind me of my first Japanese knife, Kikuichi Elite carbon gyuto?

Deep Impact is the right answer.

No Kikuichi there. I don’t expect much people to guess bottom one but middle one is well known enough.

Middle looks like a Tojiro DP a bit? They are usually kinda chunky like that.

It makes sense. However, it's a carbon blade. But yeah, it and a hundred others that look like it. These are all educated guesses you've made.

Is it a Sakai Kikumori?

or Masakane SK... they look the same to me.

Last edited:
I was going to guess Fujiwara carbon FKH or Misono Swedish, but I don't know if they are that thick or asymetric?

Middle one Masahiro?

A solid proposition... and a correct answer sir!

Thus, as promised, I call the third unit: morihei hisamoto 440C. A knife sharpened so asymmetrical that there’s basically an ura-like pattern at the tip left side OOTB.

IMG_7113.jpg

And so flexible that with this configuration it would basically steer in a mid-air swipe...

I was going to guess Fujiwara carbon FKH or Misono Swedish, but I don't know if they are that thick or asymetric?

Good call. Don't know about the Fuji, but a Misono is indeed a bit thinner, a bit less asymmetrically ground, and a bit less beefy convex on the cutting side.

In an effort to keep this thread updated with unrelated business discussed earlier, here's the TF Mabs I shared like 1-2 pages before as it is NOW. And almost where I'd want it to be before food separation is dramatically affected, but I foresee a last thinning session. The original Shinogi "residual presence" on the right side I believe is now completely gone.

IMG_9641.jpg

Missing just a bit more effort behind the edge to enhance ops but... crazy work done and crazy grind now. 10 grams of steel removed: it started 211g / +18 and is now 201g / +14

Toyama honyaki gyuto 270
Geeze, this should of been obvious. The black rough choil should of gave it away. The honyaki seems to not have that lower grind righty bias. I guess that threw me off. I knew It was grasping straws saying jiro.

Back