Guess that choil!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mazaki. Final offer.

1621111485722.gif

You mean my guess Will bounce back and kick me in the nuts?

I appreciate your shot Carl, and it was the most painfully close of the lot, but it remains a fail.

Anyway, some frightfully rude oik just rang me up giving me unconvincing charlie big-potatoes tough guy shtick. First one to get this choil shot can have a ‘KKF F**BOI’ tshirt apparently.

Looks like Mr. Itou

1621145874600.gif

Damn this place is good. I thought I’d have at least another half day of hamming it up badly and mildly taunting people In smartarse fashion with the choice of an Itou. But I entirely salute Hassanbensober for sweeping in like a modern day, less-mulleted Dog the Bounty Hunter to claim the prize from under the noses of the usual big guns.

Still he distinctly missed a trick by not dispatching me with a pithier winning putdown, and I suspect he wasn‘t even wearing a white vest in best blue-collar action hero style, so Mr Pompous may be back at some point. You have been warned...

Too thick for a TKC surely? That‘d give the average CKTGer kittens

I have no idea of course, but I’m intrigued. I’m sure Stringer claims to thin his knives as he sharpens, so gawd knows what this looked like to begin with?

🤔

Too thick for a TKC surely? That‘d give the average CKTGer kittens

I have no idea of course, but I’m intrigued. I’m sure Stringer claims to thin his knives as he sharpens, so gawd knows what this looked like to begin with?

🤔
I know he has a TKC or TK, forget which exactly. And a Sabatier but that doesn't look like a bolster... And the knife isn't wa handled... But he does have a bunch of other knives so....🤷‍♂️

I‘m going to bet that it’s some Western-handled whopping 10incher of a brand that I‘ve not heard of before. That would make me feel a little better at least

Ontario "Old Hickory" 10".
This knife started out with a ridiculously heavy almost unusable grind. Now it's kind of like my El Camino knife. 1/2 Sports Car, 1/2 Pickup Truck. I have thinned the tip a ton but left a lot of junk in the trunk. If functions fine as a general chef's knife but is has no problems with rough heavy work with that heel.

I do have a Kanehide that ended up in the same position from a different direction. It is still one of my most frequently used knives.

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/old-beater-meet-new-beater.44563/

That‘s the closest to I’ve ever had to a win on this game, even if I annoyingly have just recently spotted ‘Old Hickory‘ blades on Knives and Tools.

Slightly fittingly I only remember them as I considered one as a potential beater/sharpening toy (and discounted as they actually aren’t all that cheap over here)

OK, one more. It‘s getting late here and it’s Sunday, so forgive me if I toss this in without the usual megalomaniac gobshitery

It’s not too distinctive, but I suspect many of you will have one from this maker in your kit. One of my very first J-Knives - 15 years old or so, and still in pretty much original nick, Knowing what I know now, I did alright with this one

1621201643570.jpeg

That‘s the closest to I’ve ever had to a win on this game, even if I annoyingly have just recently spotted ‘Old Hickory‘ blades on Knives and Tools.

Slightly fittingly I only remember them as I considered one as a potential beater/sharpening toy (and discounted as they actually aren’t all that cheap over here)

They are dirt cheap in the states but they no longer make the 10" so finding one of those in good shape is tough. Mostly what you see is boning knives, bullnose butchers, and 8" chef knives (that's what they have at knivesandtools it looks like). The steel is good and the heat treat is fine for kitchen knives. The grind leaves a lot to be desired. They are kind of a knockoff of the nicer offerings from Forgecraft/CaseXX/Shapleigh, etc.

OK, one more. It‘s getting late here and it’s Sunday, so forgive me if I toss this in without the usual megalomaniac gobshitery

It’s not too distinctive, but I suspect many of you will have one from this maker in your kit. One of my very first J-Knives - 15 years old or so, and still in pretty much original nick, Knowing what I know now, I did alright with this one

View attachment 127392
Misono?

Back