Guests are fun, no?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaamax

Reaction score
Having guests can have its challenges. I try to be proactive and still be able to have a “mi casa es su casa” attitude. There is always a set of German knives out for people to use. My carbon blades get hidden away when the masses arrive.
Well it usually works fine, but my sister in law is a bit of a dig-in-all-corners kind of person.

Get home and it smells terrific in the house. A full on food fest. Can’t complain here.

Open up the dishwasher and holy-****, my heart stopped. Luckily the machine wasn’t full so it hadn’t been started yet.

I asked her why four blades? She said that she tried one, didn’t like it so she tried another "that big one is ridiculous."

a.jpeg

Ok, I think I've calm down now. Whew!

Yeah, I'm going to agree with the above posts.
You might want to post a warning in the thread title. I think I can speak for everybody here when I say pictures are always scene first.

And I bet the miscreant still doesn't understand what all the fuss is about. I had a house sitter do something similar. Luckily it was only a wood handled Stainless Sabatier but the handle was ruined. Certainly a wake up call.

There's really no reason to EVER hit a woman........but holy balls that'll test a man.......o_O

At home, i try to warn my wife and friends to ask me if they want to try any fancy knives that stay in the third drawer. The first drawer has two blades for the guests.

I'm relieved to see that at least the washing machine wasn't turned on.

Is that cleaver a Takeda? How do you like it?

I would explain the value of the knives she used, and the value after they went through the dishwasher.

You seem remarkably relaxed about this even considering that the knives didn't actually go through a dishwasher cycle. Under similar circumstances I would have had a hard time restraining myself from going ballistic, but I'm an extremely private person. Aside from reading from the common area bookshelves I always ask first as a guest and do not presume free rein even if the host is an old friend or relative. A "dig-in-all-corners" guest or one who is rough with records, books, knives, etc. is not likely to get a repeat invite at my house.

A "dig-in-all-corners" guest or one who is rough with records, books, knives, etc. is not likely to get a repeat invite at my house.
Haha, not even if she's your mum? Mitigation is the answer. Sequester the good stuff and mark knives that can be used by guests. I also have a guests linen and towels cupboard. I'm not much of a sharer when it comes to stuff like this.

I also looked at the picture first. Needs a “graphic content” tag! Lol

I love this site!
Nowhere else could one find any solace...
When I explained the situation to my "guests" after I had taken a glass, not a snifter, of Highland Park, they thought I was over reacting. "why on earth have something so sensitive and fragile in the kitchen?" me or the knives? Lol.

Good eyes on the Takeda call. Yes, she is my number one for many years.

Cheers.

There's two things in this life no one should touch without permission, ones knives and ones wife. You could argue which one is more private.

I would probably go little bit mental if someone puts my knifes in dishwasher like that. Everytime someone takes one of my knives from the magstrip, makes my heart skip a beat. Thankfully anyone close to me knows not to use them.

When I explained the situation to my "guests" after I had taken a glass, not a snifter, of Highland Park, they thought I was over reacting. "why on earth have something so sensitive and fragile in the kitchen?" me or the knives? Lol.

In my experience, it does no good to explain to guests that knives are expensive, or have to be treated carefully. You have to appeal to their primal fear of sharp objects.

I set out a block of old Wusthof knives for guests to use, then I open the "real" knife drawer and explain that they shouldn't use these ones with the funny handles because they're extremely sharp and dangerous. They have a corner at the rear of the blade that can cut you, and I tell them I cut myself recently (that's a white lie). No reason for guests to get into the knife drawer with the block of Wusthofs on the island, covering all the essentials with paring knife, 6" utility, Santoku, and bread knife. Those knives are better than most people have at home, so they're happy to use them, and it won't freak me out if they leave them in the sink with other dishes and utensils.

Speaking of that, I have a rule with guests that I do all the dishes, nobody else. It saves some wear and tear on the china, and prevents anything from going through the dishwasher that shouldn't.

Back