Gumbiner Custom Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, never heard of him, but the pics are nice. Sick hamons, nice damascus, only 19 yo. Wow. Very talented.

Sorry, I have nothing to contribute, really :p

Nope but I follow him on Instagram. :D

Lots of makers I think you just gotta take your chances, only so many of their knives out there, you may never meet anyone that owns one. You should buy one and review it here!

After looking at his Instagram I have the following very inexperienced comments...

- Some of his 'honyaki' knives look like they're acid etched which I have no issue with, but they don't really show a true Hamon.
- His true Hamon blades are much closer to the cutting edge than most traditional Japanese honyaki knives, which probably isn't great in terms of how long it can be sharpened.

I don't really know enough to comment so I may be wrong, they still look great however.

EDIT: Nevermind, looking further back he has a bunch of really great Hamon's.

Many western knifemakers will do cycles of etching and polishing to bring out the hamon more, whereas it seems most Japanese knives are usually polished similar to the tradition of sword polishing. Neither right or wrong, it's just that the etching makes for a more dramatic visual difference.

It does drive me crazy when some people have the softer steel go way down near the edge. Even worse when part of the edge is not properly hardened, which makes me wonder why they didn't just go back and re-HT what is an obvious failure.

Huh. He uses the same Satanite (hamon clay) suppler as the Australians, but he's in America. That's kinda suprising.
I have some in my garage, I should try messing around with it. He's getting some very nice results.

Latest posts

Back