Guy Fieri get fried.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which one isn't? Anything anyone would say in Fieri's shoes would be considered the same. Opening a restaurant is very tough, every one wants everything to be great when no has worked together before, and your lucky if half of the people you hired even knows half of what the hell they are doing. I'm sure the place hasn't even purged out the dead weight yet. As a reviewer he should know this. I'm sure too that many of the employees have star eyes too. Honestly if you open with a good review your are on fire.

I usually don't try a new restaurant until it is at least a mo. old. As busy as times square is it probably wont be for another couple of months too.

Fieri's resturant may have been open for only two months, but during that time he's been charging New York prices for product while he "figures things out". Sorry, but if I'm paying good money, I expect good food. Quid pro quo.

Yeah, but without critics, A-holes like Fieri would think they could get away with menuing dog shite with some weird sauce and call it cuisine.
It's not like this guy has no prior experience in the business. And 2 months is plenty of time to work out most of the bugs. Remember that he had months of recipe development and pre-opening training as well. If he hired idiots that can't follow recipes or directions to staff his kitchen, that is his fault as well. If his purchasing agents buy crappy stuff to stock the place...again, his responsibility. The old saying "Fish stinks from the head" is completely applicable here. You put your name on something, you stand by it. Whether it be garbage food, garbage knives, or garbage credability.

I know you guys are trying to consider it from a restauranteur's perspective or from the perspective of someone running a kitchen, and what you say makes sense. However, I would add that there is NOTHING good to eat actually in Times Square (not counting some places a few blocks east or west). It's Olive Garden, Bubba Gump's, etc. Guy's restaurant is most likely another of those. Those "kinks" aren't ever going to get ironed out...that's my guess.

I know you guys are trying to consider it from a restauranteur's perspective or from the perspective of someone running a kitchen, and what you say makes sense. However, I would add that there is NOTHING good to eat actually in Times Square (not counting some places a few blocks east or west). It's Olive Garden, Bubba Gump's, etc. Guy's restaurant is most likely another of those. Those "kinks" aren't ever going to get ironed out...that's my guess.

I was working near Times SQ for about 6 months a few years ago...I was rather shocked at how true this was. Had to take a cab to find decent food.

I was working near Times SQ for about 6 months a few years ago...I was rather shocked at how true this was. Had to take a cab to find decent food.

In context, that's entirely true. Most tourist destinations have a load of crappy dining options. From a business standpoint there's no reason to stand out in a field of mediocrity when most people's reason to patronize a particular place is just to say "Oh...I ate there". On the other hand,don't get all huffy if you get called on it.

`What's worse than a make believe "chef"? .............A critic.

Really what did he expect? That "review" was written before he got there.

Bourdain has an interesting chapter on the crapitalization (my word--I think I'll coin it) of the Food Network--at the center of which stands Guy Fieri. I loathe the kind of complacent, Tea Party populism that the Food Network peddles. Why learn something about food from Alton Brown or Mario Batali if, instead, you can watch a drunken Sandra Lee who embodies all of the superficiality and desperation of a craft-devoid suburban mediocre life slosh her way through food "just like you make at home?" In that spirit, I cheered this review as a massive, upraised middle finger to a lot of things I hate.

Salty's right--this review was written before Pete Wells walked in the door, and awaited only the examples required to credibly prove that any visits took place. But I sympathize with Wells's point to the extent that I'm willing to give him a pass for the hatchet-job screed. This restaurant peddles meta-authenticity--rather than doing one cuisine right based on immersion in its traditions, Guy promises the best of America as Americans understand it. The absurd dislocations that lead people to pay thirty bucks a plate for Guy's restaurant to serve them mass-produced versions of the things they want to eat in an unfamiliar city precisely BECAUSE they are familiar probably aren't the subject for a dining section review. But given Wells's pulpit, I'm not sure I could restrain myself, either.

Bourdain has an interesting chapter on the crapitalization (my word--I think I'll coin it) of the Food Network--at the center of which stands Guy Fieri. I loathe the kind of complacent, Tea Party populism that the Food Network peddles. Why learn something about food from Alton Brown or Mario Batali if, instead, you can watch a drunken Sandra Lee who embodies all of the superficiality and desperation of a craft-devoid suburban mediocre life slosh her way through food "just like you make at home?" In that spirit, I cheered this review as a massive, upraised middle finger to a lot of things I hate.

Salty's right--this review was written before Pete Wells walked in the door, and awaited only the examples required to credibly prove that any visits took place. But I sympathize with Wells's point to the extent that I'm willing to give him a pass for the hatchet-job screed. This restaurant peddles meta-authenticity--rather than doing one cuisine right based on immersion in its traditions, Guy promises the best of America as Americans understand it. The absurd dislocations that lead people to pay thirty bucks a plate for Guy's restaurant to serve them mass-produced versions of the things they want to eat in an unfamiliar city precisely BECAUSE they are familiar probably aren't the subject for a dining section review. But given Wells's pulpit, I'm not sure I could restrain myself, either.

+1

This is another article on the subject worth reading (the critic defending himself):

http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2012/11/14/slam-review-of-guy-fieris-times-square-restaurant-goes-viral/

I thought the review was amusing; and if Fieri doesn't like it, perhaps he should spend some more time on-site with his staff to address the problems (none of which he seemed to deny in his "Today Show" interview, during which he suggested that he be given "six months" to get things running smoothly).

this kind of stuff comes with the territory does it not? Sill burns.

An Corp!

Bump for some more glorious GuyBashing (one of my favorite things in the whole wide world).

20130104-smoresindoorspizza.jpg

It's "An Abomination", according to reviewers.

Also,

buffalolol.jpg

Pureed chicken and atrocious punctuation. Somehow this jackass made something even dumber than his demographic.

you need a knuckle sandwich knife to open the boxes though

A "Smores pizza" with hot pepper? And I thought the Modernist chefs came up with some strange combinations!!! The pics in the review look like a condor took a dump on a piece of Boboli.
An Corp!

Bump for some more glorious GuyBashing (one of my favorite things in the whole wide world).

20130104-smoresindoorspizza.jpg

It's "An Abomination", according to reviewers.

Also,

buffalolol.jpg

Pureed chicken and atrocious punctuation. Somehow this jackass made something even dumber than his demographic.

Nostradamus predicted this would happen...

Fieri puis tost alors mourra, viendra
Des gens & bestes une horrible defaite;
Puis tout a coup la vengence on verra,
C'et main, siof, faim, quand courra la comete.

:scared4:

Guy fiery is the epitome of everything that is wrong in our current American culture. All flash, and no substance.

I came up with a new term to describe folks like Fieri and Bobby Flay, although those two are in this category for different reasons. Douchelebrity. Even more desctiptive than Celebretard, I think. :biggrin: I can deal with uber nerds that have made it on basic cable like Alton Brown and Rachael Ray, but some of these other clowns........................

With that said, I was glad when Fieri/Ferry did a piece on Diners, Drive Ins and Dives about the newly reopened Parkette Drive- In in Lexington, KY. I don't know if he has done a piece on Shady Glen in Manchester, CT, but if he hasn't, he truly is a slacker.

Some friends were in "audience" when he did the piece on Taco Bus. Your description is generous.

Guy fiery is the epitome of everything that is wrong in our current American culture. All flash, and no substance.

If, with my small voice, I could give more than a +1 I would. I don't mind celebrity chefs that inspire some sort of cooking -- however insignificant it may be -- but Guy F. is simply commercial fluff in a way that I cannot stomach. But I hate Paula Dean too -- she sounds like my ex mother-in-law. I feel like smashing my TV when she comes on.

k.

In this community, we can all recognize Fieri and his ilk for what they really are.
But, there are so many people that are completely ignorant about culinary art, nutrition, food safety, etc. that revere these charlatans. They'll re-create their crappy recipies using their crappy line of tools and if it turns out better than the SpaghettiOs they grew up on, well, then, all's right in the world. Then they can go out and buy a white coat and proclaim themselves "Chef" to all their equally brain-dead friends. Maybe even get a part time instructor's gig down at the Whole Foods where they can bang away with their ****** santokus on glass cutting boards.

In this community, we can all recognize Fieri and his ilk for what they really are.
But, there are so many people that are completely ignorant about culinary art, nutrition, food safety, etc. that revere these charlatans. They'll re-create their crappy recipies using their crappy line of tools and if it turns out better than the SpaghettiOs they grew up on, well, then, all's right in the world. Then they can go out and buy a white coat and proclaim themselves "Chef" to all their equally brain-dead friends. Maybe even get a part time instructor's gig down at the Whole Foods where they can bang away with their ****** santokus on glass cutting boards.
+100!!!
Amen brother!
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Latest posts

Back