Gyuto Advice

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adam92

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm going to return my problem TF & need a new gyuto.

I'm currently compare

Syousin Chiku KU Gyuto 240mm Aogami Supern Stainless Cladding by Kurosaki

Kurosaki Shizuku R2 Gyuto 240mm

Yoshimi Kato (Kintaro) Nashiji Gyuto 240 mm Aogami Super (Blue Super, AS)

I'm interested with Fujin AS by yu Kurosaki but out of stock...

R2 is better than AS?

My budget under 600NZD, Currently using Takamura R2 gyuto for fine cutting & sushi cutting.

Looking for a knife can handle a lot of meat/ more than 20KG raw chicken thigh .

Last edited:
So TF accepted your return or did you buy through a retailer? How easy/difficult was the process? Good to see TF stepping up and making you right.

So TF accepted your return or did you buy through a retailer? How easy/difficult was the process? Good to see TF stepping up and making you right.
I buy direct from TF, they don't accept my return at the first, ignore my many email for few days .

I raise my complain through PayPal & finally heard from them back.

I won't deal with TF anymore, disasters for me..

Sorry to hear that. Replies can take time especially if Gaku is away at the factory or on vacay. I've had to wait for up to a week for a reply, but he always responds

I use a heavy Deba knife on grilled chicken thighs. The weight of the knife will do the work for you as long as it’s sharp. Cutting cooked chicken in mass quantities can be a rather painful job even with my best gyuto.

I use a heavy Deba knife on grilled chicken thighs. The weight of the knife will do the work for you as long as it’s sharp. Cutting cooked chicken in mass quantities can be a rather painful job even with my best gyuto.
Actually is for raw thigh.

I think getting good stones depends on if you want to keep them pretty and/or if you want nicer edges. If you don't really mind having knives that don't look the prettiest after a few sharpening's, then get more knives but if you want to keep them nice and pretty, get some stones! :D

You might want to put a munetoshi gyuto to your consideration list? Very good HT and durable edge for a white#2. Price range around 300$aud and with free shipping i think thats a steal.
I own a slicer and it makes me crave for the gyuto line.
If I didn’t already have 2knives currently on process from Robert (the9nine) i might already have put one in the cart

You might want to put a munetoshi gyuto to your consideration list? Very good HT and durable edge for a white#2. Price range around 300$aud and with free shipping i think thats a steal.
I own a slicer and it makes me crave for the gyuto line.
If I didn’t already have 2knives currently on process from Robert (the9nine) i might already have put one in the cart
May i know the website ?

You can get them from JNS, the 240mm is still in stock as of now. Probably can get them elsewhere. Its like $326 AUD for the 240 but remember that you will get free shipping cause the knife puts you over the threshold to get it :D

I think getting good stones depends on if you want to keep them pretty and/or if you want nicer edges. If you don't really mind having knives that don't look the prettiest after a few sharpening's, then get more knives but if you want to keep them nice and pretty, get some stones! :D

I actually have enough stone for now, But I'm pretty sure i need JNS set for my Yanagiba, but they currently out of stock, don't know how long does it take to restock.

Should i go with good knife like Yu Kurosaki AS or Tojiro DP is enough for the work?
Yu Kurosaki still under my budget. I'm very difficult to make decisions..
As am already have Takamura R2, want to try different steel.

o_OA
You can get them from JNS, the 240mm is still in stock as of now. Probably can get them elsewhere. Its like $326 AUD for the 240 but remember that you will get free shipping cause the knife puts you over the threshold to get it :D
Actually i don't get free Shipping as I'm in New Zealand, Free Shipping only in Australia.

Sorry for mistake, i thought KNS from AUS you said, JNS is free Shipping .

Are you sure? It says free world wide shipping, and I cant find any small text to say NZ would be excluded.

Typed this out before I saw your message ;)

Pretty sure you can get a set of JNS stones for hard or soft right now. Unless you want to get the group discount for buying them in the bundle, all the stones except the JNS 300 is up for sale.

If you have your heart set on getting a 4 stone set up, it wouldnt hurt to look around at lets say JKI gesshin stones to supplement the missing stone. Sure Jon would love to have a chat with you to help you get what you want.

TBH, i don’t really like the kurosaki profile, it is a bit short on the heel and very light (note: extra heft from the blade actually help you to cut without much force)
As for stones, synthetic stones will likely to get the job done quicker than naturals ( and also easier to use)
A set of naniwa chosera combo:
400-1000-3000 is pretty good for daily basis sharpness once you have the yanagi in hand, you can add 6000/8000 as finishing in higher grit.

Are you sure? It says free world wide shipping, and I cant find any small text to say NZ would be excluded.

Typed this out before I saw your message ;)
Is my mistake.
How do you like your JNS stone?

Have you try Arashiyama 6000 before? I just wondering should i get JNS 6000 or actually is similar stone, I'll check it for the knife, i want to get JNS Medium set but no stock...

My JNS 6000 so far is a nice stone, I'm having the same trouble anyone with a hard stone would have and that's streaking areas of polish on the curves of the bevel. It muds up surprisingly fast and drinks water for the first few minutes of usage. Stays flat so far reasonable well.

My JNS 6000 so far is a nice stone, I'm having the same trouble anyone with a hard stone would have and that's streaking areas of polish on the curves of the bevel. It muds up surprisingly fast and drinks water for the first few minutes of usage. Stays flat so far reasonable well.

I did look up the munetoshi gyuto but the handle is actually better for right handed, i might order through James from KNS.

For JNS 6000, haved you tried sharpening on single bevel knife? can you upload some picture of knife after JNS 6000, i try to search JNS 6000 and Arashiyama 6000 but seems like no one own two stone at one time, i can't compare the stone....

Ah .. that’s normal.. I went to the store in person to hand pick one for a friend.. went through like 12-15 to find one that was okay. I was told this one was very good by my friend.

TF are amazing if you find a good one but the odds are slim. 1 in 12-15 in my instance so heaps of bad ones exist.
I guess I'm not lucky like you, Didn't have opportunity to have a look before pull the trigger..

I guess I'm not lucky like you, Didn't have opportunity to have a look before pull the trigger..

The only advice I can give with regards to TF is to never buy a tf unless you inspect it in person or buy hisamoto fine finish by morehei which is made by TF.

Morehei fixed the problems before sending it out.

But back to yourinitial question.

Send James at KNS an email, I’m sure he can lead you to a knife that is suitable for your needs and he does have free shippjng

Not sure about this.. i live not more than 10km away and always got charged 9.95$aud flat rate for shipping

I live about the same distance away too.

Aussies get the rough end of the stick.

We get charged gst too..

I think his free shipping policy is worldwide if purchase is over 300 aud or usd (can’t remember what it is-need to check site)

I just drive to his showroom instead of paying postage. I have even driven to his place before to pick up stuff as I couldn’t get to the showroom during the weekdays but of course he needs to know you well enough before he offers that option

Back