Gyuto bevels grinding question

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heli

Reaction score
Hi,

So say I’d like to have a distal taper on the blade.

a. Do I grind the distal taper before the bevels, or just in the same time while doing the bevels?

b. When grinding the bevels, does the bevels angle move up on the tang, like a tanto? If not, does that mean that the transition between the bevels and tang/ricasso is blended?

c. When looking at the cutting edge profile (side of knife), does it follow a continuous arc, with no flat spots, not even in the last say 2 or so inches from the heel?

Thanks in advance.

i would do distal first then the bevels. feels easier somehow.

Great, thanks @inferno.

Anybody else would be able to answer the other two questions. It would help me getting started.

Once I have a drawing of the profile, with dimensions, I’ll post it for feedback.

Thanks again.

try making a blade out of wood or mdf or similar. you will understand how you have to make it quite quickly.

try making a blade out of wood or mdf or similar. you will understand how you have to make it quite quickly.

Thanks for the suggestion. While that would kind of work, I’m not looking to reinvent the wheel, so I’d like to understand and learn how they are traditionally done.

I have found the answer to my question c watching some videos on line. The profile of the edge is flat or very close to flat a few inches near the heel.

Hopefully, someone else could answer question b.

Thanks.

Thanks for the suggestion. While that would kind of work, I’m not looking to reinvent the wheel, so I’d like to understand and learn how they are traditionally done.

@inferno, on a second thought, i believe you’re right. Lol, my brain is starting to hurt from thinking bevels angles, blending, etc.

I’ll do some preliminary grinding and try to better understand the technique and what’s going on.

Thanks again.

Back