Gyuto blade thickness question

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heli

Reaction score
Hi,

A few question about the blade thickness, please.

a. What are the popular spine thicknesses? What do you prefer, professional and home use.

b. What are the standards for "behind the edge thickness". Say measured 10mm above the edge, or what ever other reference height used to communicate this.

Thanks in advance.

My preference is ~1mm @ 10mm then break to about 2º for the body of the knife. So spine thickness depends on the height.

I do my primary 2º grind with .5 mm left at the cutting edge, then bring down one side to zero and blend at about 10mm.

My preference is ~1mm @ 10mm then break to about 2º for the body of the knife. So spine thickness depends on the height.

I do my primary 2º grind with .5 mm left at the cutting edge, then bring down one side to zero and blend at about 10mm.

Ok, so let me see if I understand you correctly.

In term of steps,

1. Grind the primary bevel at 2* to a 0.5mm edge. Because this is based on a fix angle of 2*, it will result a spine thickness based on the specific blade height, whatever that may be.

2. Grind a secondary bevel to a 0 edge, starting 10mm above the edge.

3. Blend the 10mm line of the secondary bevel to the primary 2* bevel.

Is this correct?

Thanks again.

That's pretty much it. Notice how the blade planform results in a distal taper for a typical gyuto. In practice I calculate the spine thickness and grind it first then use it as a guide while I grind the blade sides.

That's pretty much it. Notice how the blade planform results in a distal taper for a typical gyuto. In practice I calculate the spine thickness and grind it first then use it as a guide while I grind the blade sides.

Makes sense, thanks again!

"3. Blend the 10mm line of the secondary bevel to the primary 2* bevel. " Or the ridge could be left as a shinogi

Latest posts

Back