Gyuto: Mighty vs Laser

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Out of all my lasers, the only one that I would say where the flex can be a slight issue at times is my 210 Suisin petty, boy is it thin...like on another level of anorexia.

Even with sideways pressure while rapidly cutting with my Kono 300 suji, 270 suji or 270 gyuto, I have not run into the issues that others are mentioning here. These things aren't THAT flexible in my experience.

I like more robust knives like my Yoshikane too...depends on what I'm in the mood to use.

...the only one that I would say where the flex can be a slight issue at times is my 210 Suisin petty, boy is it thin...like on another level of anorexia...
+1 I must say, it was shocking to hold one for the first time.

Wow I just saw the choil shot on that Special Thin version. They aren't kidding.

No one tool can do every job well. That's why you need one knife for coconuts, one for squash, one for hard cheese, one for soft cheese, one for hard bread, one for soft bread, a cleaver to save your knuckles, a laser, a thin petty, and a mighty gyuto.

Also a mukimono, deba, mioroshi deba, kiritsuke, yanagi (one of each size), takohiki, fuguhiki, a curved Thai knife for carving chrysanthemums and a carving set for Halloween pumpkins.

Explain this to your wife.

No one tool can do every job well. That's why you need one knife for coconuts, one for squash, one for hard cheese, one for soft cheese, one for hard bread, one for soft bread, a cleaver to save your knuckles, a laser, a thin petty, and a mighty gyuto.

Also a mukimono, deba, mioroshi deba, kiritsuke, yanagi (one of each size), takohiki, fuguhiki, a curved Thai knife for carving chrysanthemums and a carving set for Halloween pumpkins.

Explain this to your wife.

:biggrin: Love this! I don't even try. Easier just to let her buy a new pair of shoes, blouse,dress, pant suit, purse,etc.,etc.,etc.

Closest thing I have to mighty is a Yoshikane SKD gyuto. Nice knife, but I feel like the Takeda, Konosuke HD, and Carter leave it in the dust. Even for things like winter squash, I much prefer the thin screaming sharp blades.

Back